Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which wire from the column feeds the back up lights.
I've got a 67 ss with 2 spd column shift so the switch is on the column I think.
If I can check the wire at the column then I'll know if the switch is bad coz I have no back up lights. Otherwise it could be a ground issue:confused:
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Pink is power to the switch, light green to the bulbs.
Switch could be out of adjustment also, or, shifter could be out of adjustment with the trans detented position.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated :)
I'll go check it now and post what I find.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I don't see a pink wire unless I'm color blind (which is possible).
I have 9 wires leading up the steering column.

Is there a thread that explains which wire is for what? I looked but couldn't find one.
Is it possible that the back up light switch is on the transmission?
It's a 2 spd Power Glide but not sure if it's date correct for my car.
Thanks.
From left to right in case the pics no good.
1 grey
2 black
3 light blue
space--
4 blue
5 brown
6 purple
7 yellow
8 green
9 white

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, found the green and pink wire

So, I think I have wiring issue. With the ignition on, when I select reverse the Gen light comes on, when I take it out of reverse the lights on dash return to normal (oil/brake light) but when I disconnect the pink/green wire this dosent
happen. So Im going to change the switch on the column. This one

May also have an ignition switch problem because when I jiggle the key in the on position the lights go back and forth from oil/park to gen.:confused:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I changed the switch and still no back up lights.:confused:
and with ignition on when put in reverse the gen light comes on.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
So I changed the switch and still no back up lights.:confused:
and with ignition on when put in reverse the gen light comes on.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Not sure why the gen light is coming on, but it sounds like you may have some loose wiring or ground issues if jiggling wires/ignition effects it.

Did you check the reverse wiring with a multi meter? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but if I recall, the pink wire should have constant power in the ACC position. The green wire gets power when you shift into reverse. Check to see that you are getting power at the switch.

If you are getting those readings at the switch, plug in the harness, and then check to see if you are getting power at the harness at the reverse lights. If no power there, then wires may be bad. If you are getting power at the rear harness, then the ground may be bad or the reverse lights themselves may be bad.

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Unplug the reverse light connector and using DMM, measure the green wire to ground.
You should read the bulb(s) resistance referenced to ground.
If you have resistance, unplug one bulb to see if you are reading both bulbs in parallel or a single bulb. Resistance should be measured with both bulbs singularly.
If no resistance is read, then either a broke wire or bad ground on bulb sockets.
Switch also has neutral safety function as well. Switch does need adjustment when installed.
You will get GEN light with ign sw in ACC and IGN, no engine running.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,
I dont have a meter, but using a test light I'm getting a completed circuit from the pink and green wire. ie: placing one end of the test light on the green wire and the other on the pink the test light lights up! This cant be right coz I shouldnt be able to get earth from either of these wires should I?
Something's earthing where it shouldn't be. I'll check the bulb holders and see if there earthed properly. Other than that something may have been connected to one of these wires under the dash that's not right because the previous owner has done some real ugly wiring under there:(

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll see how I go and post the outcome.
Has anyone else had same problem?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Armed only with a test light, remove the bulbs and check again.
No light, no complete circuit - good.
If you have a light with bulbs removed, then a ground exists in the green wire circuit.
If no light, install one bulb, jumper a battery source to the green wire, or jumper pink to green and turn ign sw to IGN, should have test light lit.
No light, remove bulb and check center contact of socket for power with test light.
If there is power, then install bulb and check socket to ground.
If test light lights, then open ground circuit of socket to body.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Thanks guys,
I dont have a meter, but using a test light I'm getting a completed circuit from the pink and green wire. ie: placing one end of the test light on the green wire and the other on the pink the test light lights up! This cant be right coz I shouldnt be able to get earth from either of these wires should I?
Something's earthing where it shouldn't be. I'll check the bulb holders and see if there earthed properly. Other than that something may have been connected to one of these wires under the dash that's not right because the previous owner has done some real ugly wiring under there:(

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll see how I go and post the outcome.
Has anyone else had same problem?

Cheers
No, definitely shouldn't get a ground from either of those wires. The pink wire is your power source. Shifting into reverse completes the circuit and passes power onto the green wire. Green wire feeds to reverse lights. Reverse lights ground in the trunk.

If you're getting a completed circuit with the test light, you've got ground issues.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll check out those possibilities as well. Also should the car start in neutral as well as park because atm it only starts in park and I just fitted a new switch on the column.

cheers

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I removed the globes and I dont have a problem and am putting it down to the globe holders being quite dirty. Also when I removed the old globes the bases were a bit rusty. I'm going to replace the whole back up light assembly on both sides because they appear to be a sealed unit.IE: I cant remove the globe holder from the light assembly, and the pin in the holder is very loose and the spring isnt worth a 5hit.

Thanks all for some great advice:hurray:

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
You might push the center wire out of the socket and manually lengthen the spring.
The problem could be the center contact is not touching with the bulb.
Common problem with a 40 year old spring.
Or run a separate ground wire from the socket, the stud?, to a good ground.
Yes, you should be able to start in Neutral as well as Park.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the feed back. In the end I removed the spring and centre pin contact
and fitted an after market bulb holder that fit inside the lamp assembly. Its a plastic bulb holder that has both positive and ground wire fitted, so I wont have any bad ground issues.
I've also done this with my tail lights. I think its a safer bet when dealing with these cars because relying on the lamp base to make contact with the body for ground will be an ongoing problem. Even if you make sure there's no paint etc between body and lamp assembly, eventually your going to get dirt/water between there and it starts again.
I have other ground issues because when I put a test light from neg side of battery and
neg cable I get a light which means a short.Removed fuses one by one and found the radio/clock fuse to be the culprit. Once that was removed I had no light but when I turned the ignition on even with this fuse out the light comes on. So maybe my ignition switch is bad?
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Good job on the lights, glad to read it is fixed.

Not necessarily on the ign switch,
if OE radio: yellow wire supplies power to radio.
Radio dial light is gray and works with headlamp switch for inst cluster lights.

If aftermarket radio, there may be two power sources required, BATT (red wire) for memory and clock, yellow wire for on/off normal operation.
A PO may have wired dial light with red power wire.

Do you have an OE clock? It draws power in a timed sequence, maybe. I never had a Camaro with a clock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts