58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick facts:
67 Camaro
396/M20
67 style BBC motor mounts
17” 6 blade fan
69 style long water pump

I am running a cheap universal radiator and it doesn’t have a shroud. I am stepping up the money for a proper Cold Case aluminum radiator for a 67-69 BBC part number #CHC11

My question is which BBC radiator shroud to use. NPD, Camaro Central and Ground Up all have either the 67/68 or 69 style.

Difference is depth 67/68 is listed at 26.5x19.75x3.5”.
69 is listed at 27x20x5.5”

I believed I needed the 69 due to the long water pump. Due to shipping costs I rather cut down on the margin of error and get it right the first time.

·
Vendor
157 Posts
The Cold Case CHC11 is based on the BB radiator. Therefore you need the BB shroud. It will bolt right up.

As far as the shroud you purchase, be careful because one of the reproductions is very flimsy compared to the OEM shroud. If the GM one is still available, I'd go that rout.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
FWIW I have the 23" shroud from OER, it is not flimsy

There are 2 shrouds for the 23" radiator. One SB (if factory AC equipped) and a BB with the later having the opening offset towards PS as BB are positioned slightly to PS so exhaust manifold clears steering box.

I got my OER shroud (SB) from Summit. IIRC it was free shipping and their return policy is excellent

Don't have part # for the BB one

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW I have the 23" shroud from OER, it is not flimsy

There are 2 shrouds for the 23" radiator. One SB (if factory AC equipped) and a BB with the later having the opening offset towards PS as BB are positioned slightly to PS so exhaust manifold clears steering box.

I got my OER shroud (SB) from Summit. IIRC it was free shipping and their return policy is excellent

Don't have part # for the BB one

I am thinking OER 3947619 Summit has it in stock.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I am thinking OER 3947619 Summit has it in stock.

yeah that looks like it but the pic is upside down. FWIW I had to trim about 1/8" off the lower tab on DS that slides in the stock radiator holding clip so the top would sit flush with core support. Minor trim and no big deal. Took seconds using a Dremel cut off wheel. Otherwise it is a direct fit and your car may likely require no trim but if so it is very minor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yeah that looks like it but the pic is upside down. FWIW I had to trim about 1/8" off the lower tab on DS that slides in the stock radiator holding clip so the top would sit flush with core support. Minor trim and no big deal. Took seconds using a Dremel cut off wheel. Otherwise it is a direct fit and your car may likely require no trim but if so it is very minor

Excellent. I noticed one picture it was upside down then another it wasn’t. Odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased a Cold Case rad and a new shroud. Will report back once installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts