Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was wondering is there any chance that an engine block have sat for 4 monthes before being put in a car? I was looking into buying this car and the engine date is, as far as I understand about 4 monthes before the car was built in 67. But, the numbers on the block match the car vin. And also on the cowl tag it shows that it should in fact be a 396. If anyone has any ideas please respond ASAP.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
4 months, I dont think so. Thats along wait. My block is only 2 wks. prior.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,

the tag reads:

10 d d
67 12347 NOR 27334
742-z r-r
e 2emgr 3l
rn 5y

and the engine code is:

T0605MY

If that helps any?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also,

In case I hadn't told you yet, the VIN in the block matches that of the car. I think the car was built in October? 10 something? I believe the 4th week. Please respond asap please.

Thanks

p.s. Everything seems to fit except that built date seperation unless I did it wrong?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The first 396's didn't show up in camaros until March/April 1967. There is no way an October built Camaro had a big block since it was assembled in October of 66. 396's were a mid to late year introduction to the Camaro line. An 0605MY engine is June 5th 1967 not 66 so your engine is 8 months after your cars build date not 4 months before. MY is a 67 or 68 suffix only and there were no June of 66 MY blocks.

The body number is in the correct range for a 10D build date, The VIN should be somewhere in the 121000 to 125000 range. Since you didn't post it can't tell if the tags match up. According to your trim tag there is no engine option code (4 group) (unless that R is supposed to be a 4)so if the car is actually an 8 cylinder (need the VIN number to tell) it originally came with a 327. If the Tag really has a 4N code I would guess it's a restamp.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 11-13-2000).]

·
0 Posts
I cant comment on the numbers, but it is NOT unusual to have block dates 2-4 months prior to builds.

Also MOST IMPORTANTLY, I have had two individuals offer to stamp my vin # on my block for me. It a 70 L88 in a 67 Chevelle.

Yeah, that'll work.

Anyway, beware, unethical ice-holes all around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mark C, I think you wanted to say their were no high horse Camaros until around the end of the year.I have a 67 big block that has a 01/67 date.Also have had cars several weeks from the build date.I saw a 69 Z/28 in WI one time that had the engine stampted after the car build date and the precto plate matched.Is this a car that maby had engine trouble on the line or somthing?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
427L88,

What do you think of me getting a "correct" '66/'67 350 block and stamping it since I'm the original buyer. Then building a correct engine for my car. AND I screwed up the original.

Come back, please!!! pdq67

Heck, I still got the heads and exhaust manifolds. And I bet I could find my waterpump some where if I looked hard enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts