Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the desired maximum operating temperature I should see? 1967 Camaro, 468 BB, shrouded clutch fan, aux. pusher fan. I'm seeing about 195-200 degrees after driving the car around for about 45 minutes. I changed the coolant and installed a 195 deg. thermostat. I've heard removing the thermostat entirely in the summer. I going to a car show tomorrow, about a one hour drive. Motor turns about 3000 rpm at 55 mph. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Not sure if this helps but my buddies car is a 406 BB with a blower and he is running a aluminum radiator with electric fan and he heats up to over 200

·
Registered
931 Posts
Do not remove your stat! Put on straight fan and do away with clutch fan.
Is your guage in head or in intake? Put in 180 stat. You can also put on smaller water pump pulley to increase flow. My car was on the verge of keeping cool. I took clutch fan off and put on straight fan and smaller water pump pulley and all is fixed. Clutch fans are ok when you are away from overheating synario, i like cooling rad all the time and when needed it's there. Speed up water pump flow so when needed it there also. My car works and can drive in over 90* weather flying down interstate @ 3000RPM and in traffic stop and go. Last weekend i went for a 300 mile road trip to support my car club and it was over 90. Guage was in happy range. I have a true 375hp engine and is ok. Another problem i think guys have is headers keep engine compartment hot all the time to. I put exhaust manifolds and i could not believe the engine compartment temp difference. Headers are history for me. I think you will be ok going to car show but keep your eye on stopped traffic and watch guage for changes cooler or hotter to see what it takes for changes to see how close you are to a problem. Like last weekend i speeded up on interstate coming home to see if engine would heat up and what would happen. It did not change, so that showed me i am good. Got 15.3 mpg :) I just noticed you have a pusher fan? turn on at lower temp?

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts