Team Camaro Tech banner

67 camaro brake upgrade

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bgreen63366 
#1 ·
hello, i'm looking to add a power booster for my all drum 67 camaro. i recently had the engine rebuilt and added a bigger cam. the vacuum now has is quick steady bounce from 15 1/2 to 22 at idle. first, is that normal? and second, is that enough vacuum to add a booster since it averages almost 19?
if it is not possible to add the booster has anyone heard of the rear drum upgrade to the 11"? and do you think it would help a lot by that alone?
thanks, mark

#2 ·
You should be able to add a power booster and it should continue to work even at 15 mB Hg of vacuum, though for peace of mind I would add a vacuum accumulator off of a GM diesel pickup.

The 11" drums are a great alternative to rear disc brakes especially if you are attempting to pass as stock. I have found the people a SSBC to very helpful and knowledgeable about not only their product but others as well. I don't think they sell the 11" drum conversion, but they can help size and select the correct pieces you would need for your ride.

By the way my Camaro was equipped with disc brakes but they were off a Corvette, four piston style. So that should also be an upgrade path. SSBC got their start in the industry by making stainless steel sleeves for those early 'vette four puck brakes which had a bad habit of seizing up if you drove through a puddle (aluminum brake pistons would corrode, and seize up against the cast iron caliper).

Larger Dave

#6 ·
my 67 has original front power disc brakes. one of them is locking up and my brake pedal is very mushy. i have already replaced the master cylinder (twice) still mushy pedal and goes to the floor before stopping. everything has been replaced and no leaks detected. i have flushed the whole system with a power bleeder several times and now i'm to the point of it has to be the front calipers. i thought they were single piston calipers. advanced auto and autozone only have a four piston caliper for my car at $150 each. anyone got any cheaper alternative or imput?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.