Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 67 Camaro front disc brake setup. All the casting numbers and stampings match up except for one caliper.

One caliper is 5455533/5455530 which is correct for a 67 Camaro.

The other is 5455946/5456008 which is for a Chevelle/GTO.

The strange thing is that the Julian dates match.

The guy I bout these from owned the car for about 25 years removed them from his SS 396 L35 for something more modern. He said he bough the car from someone that owned it new.

I am just curious if the 946 caliper could have been put on the assembly line due to a shortage? Just curious. The Julian date is 315 and the car was a March car. So, it is conceivable based on dates.

But, one is big bore and the other small bore. Not sure if that was taboo....

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts
Hard to imagine it would've left the factory like that as it seems like it could be a safety issue having unequal braking effectiveness at the front wheels....but I'm certainly no expert/engineer on the matter.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Slosh: Just looked in my "I NEED A PART FOR MY CLASSIC CAMARO" book that lists every part number for all Gen 1 Camaros. it shows the same numbers you have for both "early 67" and "late 67" builds. There is a difference between early and late calipers however. Early build calipers had 3/8 X 24 fitting thread and later design using same p/n calls for 7/16X24 fitting thread. This caliper was also used on 67-8 Chevy II as it was known in 67 and Nova as it was known in 68.

The non-Camaro caliper you have is as you already identified for 66,67,68 GM A bodies.

Have a great day. WILL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts