Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled out my 45 year old center dash speaker. I bought a replacement speaker (upgraded a little from stock) and installed it. The original speaker had this rubber gasket (guess thats what you would call it) that went around outside of the speaker so when it was screwed tight the gasket is tight against the dash grill all the way around. The replacement speaker does not have anything to prevent the two speakers from touching the dash grill. Can it damage the speaker if a part of it is touching the grill?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have done this in a couple of cars.
get some ribbon weld that you use for installing windshields and make your own gasket. It holds the speaker in place better and stops the metal to metal contact. You will find this stuff works for a lot of different things. Take a small ball of it and use it to stick your wiring to your underdash. I always keep a roll in the shop.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I picked up some 3m ribbon weld. I got the thickest they had, which was the 5/16, unfortunatly the two little speakers stuck up just barely above the ribbon weld. However, because the mount for the speaker cause the speaker to be at a slight angle, enough of the ribben weld hit the edge to give me a little gap between the speaker and the dash grill. I found these setting blocks with the 3m kit and actually set these on the two outside corners of the speaker (actually on top of the ribben weld) so know I have a gap. The sealer isn't actually acting like a sealer now, but atleast im not hitting the grill anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts