Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you for any advice. I am finally at the point after years of work and thousands of dollars to start on the drivetrain of my 67 Camaro. It is not a special car but it has made it over 40 years without being molested. I really want a 5 or 6 speed manual but can not bring myself to cut the car up. It only has 57,000 miles and has been garaged for over 20 years. It came with a powerglide and I want to use this car as a driver once it is done, so I would really like to install an overdrive. What type of automatic fits with the least amount of mods and works the best? Being old school I have decided to stay with a carb mainly because I want the idle of an old school cam and I might even install a single carb tunnel ram. I plan on keeping it under 450 hp and I am doing this mostly because of the Camaro I had growing up. I am not doing it to race or be the best of show.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
I am 2nd owner of my 69 Camaro Convert, orginally 327/210hp, powergluide, 10 bolt. Arizona car but not maintained and kept clean.
I installed 350/330hp crate motor, 700r4 trans, 10 bolt 67 Firebird rear diff with factory tration bars with 3:31 gears. Pictures on photobucket.
With 700r4 upgrade you have to buy new transmission cross member as transmission is longer, have driveshaft shortened about 2.5 inches. I had new driveshaft made as mine was damaged anyway. If you use 200r4 trans its pretty much bolt and play as its same in size as Power gluide. There is also nice shifter upgrade to make your orginal shifter work as overdrive and look stock. I LOVE MY OVERDRIVE! In fact I'm installing 700r4 in my Elcamino when motor gets back from machine shop this next week. On my photobucket there is pictures on Daughter-in-laws we just did 200r4 swap and V8 conversion...63 Chevyll conv
Happy New year Jay

·
11,316 Posts
I replaced a powerglide with a 200r4, I highly recommend it! Did not cut anything, used the original driveshaft and shifter. You need a new crossmember and mod the shifter.

Fabbed my own TV system, so it looks stock. (pic)

You are going to need a specially built trans to handle 450 hp though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
700R4 is a snap to install. try to get a ("84" +/- or newer) and defenetly use the vacume lock up NOT the manual, (this 700r4 lock up kit, you can get at any auto store).

If they scare you into thinking the stock 700 is to weak, get a racing one out of an add in Chevy High Performance Mag. With a shift kit. Good Luck Have fun

·
Registered
561 Posts
I noticed you are in SoCal. In your vicinity is Bowtie Overdrives, Hesparia. I purchased the 200-4R Level 2, rated at 500 hp/ 450 tq. from BTO.
Also, there is California Performance Transmissions, Huntington Beach. I believe Art Carr is the owner and he builds 200-4R's to handle up to 1000+ horsepower.
My '68 Camaro has a 3.42 posi. I wish now it was a 3.73 with the OD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Guys for the input. So a 200r4 needs the least mods? I am reasearching it right now on google. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I put a 200-4r in my 69. Used a t-400 crossmember and fabbed a new perch. Bought a 200-4r trans, torque converter, dip stick and tube. You need a trans linkage mount. It allows you to use your stock linkage. You need a 4-speed shifter indicator kit. The coolant lines will fit. You need to bend the lines a little. You need a throttle kit. It puts the rochester throttle in the right position to operate the up and down shift functions of the trans. You need something to hold the Tv cable at the carb. . . The only real problem I had with the install was that the speedo cable hit the floor of the car. That problem can be fixed with a ballpeen hammer, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I dont have a working speedo. I don't know if anyone else ran into this problem. But someone might have a solution. Maybe a speedo offset. Typically, you also need to run a live wire down to the trans to operate the o.d. function. . . . The only other issue/caution, the tv cable must be adjusted properly (perfectly) for the trans to work correctly. This can be a lot of trial and error.

To do it again. I would have left the t350 in it. Although I like the steeper first gear in the 4speed auto, the difference in mph is not that great. Maybe an average of 2 mpg better. Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
To do it again. I would have left the t350 in it. Although I like the steeper first gear in the 4speed auto, the difference in mph is not that great. Maybe an average of 2 mpg better. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

At 70 mph, my '68 Camaro 350 V8 went from approx. 3100 rpm to 2100 rpm, after I installed a 200-4R. It has a 8.5" 3.42 posi from a '74 Nova. The mpg went from 13.5 to 17-18 mpg on the freeway at 70mph+. At 60 mph it's getting around 19 mpg. with 225/60 x 15 BFG's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts