Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 Camaro with a Mr Goodwrench 350. (I also have the 327 with the stock accesories in the corner of my garage).

It is time to replace the shocks all around. The single leaf spring in the rear necessitates a different pair of shocks be used for the rear as opposed to the front shocks.

This car has been my daily driver for 34 years. I'm looking for a good shock than can provide driving comfort and can still handle a moderate amount of performance driving. The 350 Mr Goodwrench (crate engine) is equipped with an Edelbrock Performer manifold and an Edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel carb.

Any suggestions as to a good brand of shock absorber with the right performance characteristics? Specific model numbers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Dave I use the KYB shocks and they are great I like them?

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't know about shock's but let's all give this guy a hand for driving his camaro for 34 year's BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I, too, have the IAS' on my GMC and they're great. In that price range you can also consider Bilstein and Koni. Shox.com has good prices.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DGaber2:
I have a 1967 Camaro with a Mr Goodwrench 350. (I also have the 327 with the stock accesories in the corner of my garage).

It is time to replace the shocks all around. The single leaf spring in the rear necessitates a different pair of shocks be used for the rear as opposed to the front shocks.

This car has been my daily driver for 34 years. I'm looking for a good shock than can provide driving comfort and can still handle a moderate amount of performance driving. The 350 Mr Goodwrench (crate engine) is equipped with an Edelbrock Performer manifold and an Edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel carb.

Any suggestions as to a good brand of shock absorber with the right performance characteristics? Specific model numbers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question about replacement shocks for my 1967 Camaro. And thank you for the Kudos for driving this car on a daily basis for 34 years. (It's such a great car to drive I just can't help myself!)

So far I am leaning toward the Edelbrock AIS shocks. The biggest reason is that the Edelbrock website actually lists specific model numbers for the front and for the rear. The model number specified for the rear is specifically for the single leaf springs. The model number for the front shocks is 33982 and for the rear is 34982.

I'm still doing research, however. Any other manufacturers have model numbers specific to our early Camaros?

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
just a tad bit off topic, but does anyone know the difference between the 2 front shocks for mono and multi-leaf springs?
thanks, sonny

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
the shocks are slightly different lengths. The multileaf shocks being a little longer.

I second (or is it third now) the round of applause for driving that car all these years. That is the way it should be.

I run the KYB shocks. They are good for performance and are inexpensive. They are a little stiff though. I think they sacrifice a little on comfort for the glued to the road feeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update From DGaber2

I have gone to several manufacturer's websites and found three so far that have specific listings for 67-69 Camaros with mono-leaf rear springs.

Edelbrock AIS
Front 33982, Rear 34982, Avg Cost $69

KYB Monotube, Gas-A-Just
Front KG 4514, Rear KG 5524, Avg Cost $28

Koni
Front KON 80-1914, Rear KON 80-1915, Avg Cost $95

·
Registered
467 Posts
Especially with shocks its true that "you get what you pay for"! I'd go for the Koni's since they are rebuildable and can be adjusted and are very high quality.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The koni's are rebuildable, but....Koni wants more to rebuild them than it costs to buy new ones, and they won't sell the parts to rebuild them yourself. I have the Koni's and they are a good shock, but I'm not so sure I would replace them with Koni's. If this is a daily driver with no hard use I would opt for the KYB's.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Good point. The IAS's have a lifetime warranty. On my GMC, after 60K miles, I called Jeg's, where I bought them, and got new ones for the cost of shipping. I explained that they weren't leaking but the damping felt softer and I wanted to inquire into the ability to get news ones. They were great to deal with.

------------------
Rick Dorion

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've Made My Decision

Thanks to all for your reply to my posting. I have decided to go with the Edelbrock AIS.
They seem the best choice for my kind of driving. Remember, this car has been a daily driver for 34 years. I found a local distributer who sold me the shocks for $72 each. I hope the installation will be simple. This will be my first attempt at installing my own shocks.

As to the lifetime warranty, I have plenty of vendors who rue the day they sold me something with a lifetime warranty. That generally means as long as I own the car (which is since 1968). It is now 330,000 miles later and there are several "lifetime warranty" items I will never have to pay for again when I replace them. But, then again, they will be off the hook when I turn the car over to my son about 25 years from now

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Great. Please post back with your impressions of these shocks. Good luck.

------------------
Rick Dorion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts