Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 67 rsss rag with console guages. I noticed that my guage was barely over on the charging side. Sure enough, i do a 3 hour cruise and notice lights are starting to dim; decide to try my horn, and it is muted....rush home, turn off car, try to restart, nadda! Ok, so take out battery, get it checked, all ok. Take out Alternator, get it checked, all ok. So independentally, all ok. Alternator shop guy says to me, this is alternator has a built in regulator and asks if I am running a separte regulator. I said yes. So he says that why its not charging, and tells me to disconnect the wires from regulator to the back of alternator and run a wire direct from positive battery to back of alternator. I did that but need to check to see if charging properly.
So my question is two fold....is his synopsis correct? And, my charging guage in console hasnt moved up to the 3/4 + side, but still just past center to positive side. And what do I do with those wire from the regulator, one is a female connector, and the other that went to the back of the alternator.
Oh, and one other thing about the alternator connector. I turned my key to the on positions and took a test light to the connector...only on side of the connector showed power??
Sorry for such a long read, but I am not an electrical diagnostic-er and any help is appreciated. Happy safe Labor Day crusing everyone.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You have to remove the connector from the external voltage regulator and jump
the pins together, I have a picture for you. I just did this for my 67 RS Convertible and charges no problem.

I need your e-mail address.

Jeff G.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts