Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone painted the pillars black ugh !!!.....And now I want to restore them to the chrome color...

What is the best way of going about this ?? Is there any good products out there to restore these ??

Thanks guy's !!

John

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have some bad news on this subject. I bought the OER chrome set for my 67 with deluxe interior. The same set mentioned above part #K-902 they did not fit my car. They were alot shorter but the biggest diffarence is where it suppose to fit into the chrome trim above the window. They were not wide enough to fit. Here's some pics for better explanation. I had to send them back and I wasn't happy at all because the chrome was real nice. I know it's been discussed before but how can these companies make this stuff charge the prices they do and they're not right. :mad:

The top one is mine.

The red circled area is where it is suppose to fit the chrome trim.

Close-up of the area.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Same problem exists on the 68-69 padded ones. They do not seat properly at the dash pad.

I'm with you. You would think if someone were going to go through the effort to produce a mold for these things, they would get the diminsions correct!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey RamJam could those posts be for a convertible? Maybe they sent the wrong ones and convertible is shorter. I'm not knocking you just wondering if there is a difference between the two?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I bought the reproduction parts from Ricks. Don't remember the manufacturer. The fit up of the pillar moulding over the stainless side window moulding needed to be trimmed to make it sort of fit. Even with the trimming operation it does not fit up as original. This is on a 67 deluxe coupe. If you do not have the stainless trim above the side windows the parts fit great.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Originally posted by KC69camaro:
Hey RamJam could those posts be for a convertible? Maybe they sent the wrong ones and convertible is shorter. I'm not knocking you just wondering if there is a difference between the two?
No, KC they were not convertible pillars. I asked that question when I called to complain..

Unreal, My thoughts exactly..

Jackr, You're probably right about fitting without top chrome trim but as far as I know the deluxe interior is the only one that has the chrome trim.

So if that is the case why make a chrome pillar that doesn't fit the interior it was chromed for in the first place?

Also i'm not spending $75 for something I have to trim, that don't fit right anyway. That is probably why (Johnny in AZ) has pillars with black paint on them. Which is probably what i'll end up doing to mine unless somebody here has a better idea, like reasonably priced plastic chroming. I'd like to hear some other ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I painted an old chrome pair black on one of my 67's just because the originals fit so much better. Comparing the original as in the pictures there is that much difference. I suspect that the original chrome and the painted were different but now the repr-mold is the same for both the chrome and the painted type.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Jackr, You're probably right about fitting without top chrome trim but as far as I know the deluxe interior is the only one that has the chrome trim.
The chrome pillar moldings and trim above the door are not part of the deluxe interior. They are part of RPO Z23 - Interior Decor Package. You can have deluxe interior (Z87) and not have the chrome pillar moldings.
Just thought I might clarify things.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Johnny in AZ,

I'm in the same boat. A previous owner painted my chrome pillar posts black. I'm doing some research on how to restore the chrome pillar posts as well as restoring the polished stainless steel headliner moldings so I'll let you know what I find out.

Dave

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think your doomed to send them out to have them re-chromed. I tried using some oven cleaner to remove my paint and it took off some of the chrome with it. Now, I have to send mine out.

There are plenty of plastic chrome vendors out there. Do a search on google. Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this topic has mainly been dealing with the K902's which are for the coupe but I have a similar situation with a convertible, someone painted the chrome pillar post moldings black. So I went looking for new repro's (OER K904's for a convertible) and have found that they match nicely.

When I talked to the guy about hearing that some people were saying that the chrome pillar post moldings were to short, he explained to me that parts are made in runs/batches and that some people may have run into a bad run.

Just wanted to pass this along.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts