Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is this car worth? It is quite rusty. Needs floors,trunk,inners,outers,quaters, fenders,new top parts and the int. totally redone. It is a major project. It is all orignal and there. It is a numbers matching car. What would a good price for this car be?

·
3,176 Posts
Cave you mean the guy should pay to remove it.
Sounds like alot of work and that will cost $$$$$ and for what you spend on the restore you could find one already on the road and be driving it the next weekend instead of waiting 2+ years to be able to.
Jeff 67/68 7 69 RS's
65 442

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jeff, it's a matching # big block conv...it's a 30K car restored..he asked what it's worth, not necessarily a price to start the "bids"

·
3,176 Posts
Was only kidding. But I still think that no more than 5k for it since it needs more or less completely new sheetmetal all the way around. esp when it needs new top parts. top as in ROOF???
But you are right after its done and on the road it would be one very nice vehicle and enjoyable to drive.
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 01-27-2002).]

·
3,176 Posts
Yes I can guess it reminds me of one that was here and needed everything. Still would keep to my guns at 5K and all. Maybe 10 if it were a RS/ss

jeff 67/68 & 69 RS"SSSSSSSSS
65 442

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 01-27-2002).]

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I'm with Jeff. Are you going to do the repair work yourself or have a shop do it ? If you have a shop do the rust repair and paint you will have alot more than 30K in it by the time you are done. Are the Rocker panels rusted out ? Convert. rockers are thicker metal than coupes. Where will you get replacements ? With the rust that you describe , every nut and bolt on the car will be rusted stuck. You will almost need a Donor car just to replace all the nutsy boltsy stuff. Even the rear end will be very pitted. You will probably want to find a subframe that is not rusted. In 10 years you will be the guy advising people to start with a good body.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Charley that truly sounds like a guy speaking from experience. I agree 100%. It always IS worse than it looks!! Jim

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It probably is a $30K car when completed, so work it backwards and try to figure out what it would cost to restore and that will leave you with what you should pay. $5K is probably the range of what you should pay for it, but someone else will be willing to pay $10K thinking they can do the work themself when they have time some day.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you can do the work it might be worth it if you have to have it. Otherwise it sounds like one of those cars where the owner sinks a ton of cash into it and sells it for a lot less than he has in it. Then the next owner does the same, and so and so on.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

·
Registered
920 Posts
Convertibles are appreciating at the speed of light. But, I just got off my wife's 69 RS convertible with all the trimmins and have at least 35K in the car. It's not a numbers matching car but has some very good accouterments to go with like air, all leather non stock interior and lot's of hp to go.

I have been offered $45K for the car and turned it down, so worth is relative to the guy who's bidding and the guy who's building. There were two fools doing something foolish...the one offering and the one refusing to sell. Of course...it's my wife's. Oooooops, I forgot anywho?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 01-27-2002).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So about 3k for this car would be worth it? I dont have the trim numbers on me at the moment. But when I decoded it at camaros.org. It was a v8 conv. car with custom buckets,tinted front window,marina blue and it had the option code 4N. Which from what I decode to be an l35 SS396 bigblock car with 325HP and it has the quadra jet carb as the 325hp motor did.

I have a couple options... Maybe buy it and move it on e-bay. Or buy it and sell my 68 to restore this one. My 68 is only a six so it won't be worth nearly as much as this car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohh yeah and the work on the car. My brother works at a body shop. So I can get it painted really cheap. Me and him would do all the paint work. And my bosses son sells dupont paint to my brothers shop. I am working on getting the paint at no cost to me. Mostly it would just cost me supplies to paint it. And I have someone lined up to do the metal work at a fraction of the cost it would cost at a shop.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Buy it for 3k!!! Then it's your choice, you can put it on Ebay and make a few grand for your trouble, or fix it.

You said you can get it "painted" real cheap because of your brother. There is a huge difference between slapping some bondo on a car and spraying it as opposed to restoring the car.

If you are going to fix the car and try to make it worth 30k, were not talking about putting bondo over the rust holes and spraying paint on the car. At a minimum you would have to grind out the rust holes, weld in patches, cover with glass and the use filler for the final finish. If this body work isn't done correctly and someone can spot it, the value of the car will be less.

Every body panel that I've worked on that looks pretty good while on the car is waaaayyyy worse once it's stripped!! Each panel will probably have ten or more small dents that you didn't notice when it was on the car. It really takes alot of time pounding out each little dent, filling and sanding to make the panel look right. Those are just the outside panels!!! Wait until you get into the floors, underbody, engine compartment, subframe, etc. You at least have a choice with the exterior panels....You can buy repro parts new but even with new panels it still takes alot of time to prep them and put them on straight and paint them.

It depends on your situation.....If you want an extra 5k-10k just put it on Ebay. If making money from the car is not important then fix it, BUT restoring a 1967 numbers matching convertible big block car in the condition that you describe is going to cost some serious cash to fix it right, but with an initial investment of 3k you should have plenty of room to fix it and make some money. Your biggest money making opportunity though is to buy it and turn it without doing anything to the car.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
...but its like Clill said, if you need those specialty convertible parts, where are you going to get them? Trust me, they are hard to find, especially decent parts.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I did decide to get and keep/restore it. It would be done right. Car stripped and the bad metal replaced. I personally hate the thought of bondo. If needed I know of a camaro shop up north that has complete top frames and a good conv. rocker.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Okay, maybe I was getting carried away saying 10K...But think about this..Don't most cars need quarters, floor pans, and trunk pans anyhow? And as far as interior and conv. top...most orig. cars need those too..Another thing...when was the last time you saw a matching # 67 Conv 396? They didn't make very many...Also, what if this car is white with deluxe bright Blue interior and has strange holes in the upperquarters and is missing a right sunvisor??? NOW, the 10K loks like a damn good deal, doesn't it??? <wink>

Gary

1 - 20 of 31 Posts