Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just got the hold of this '67 Convertible from eBay. Unfortunately the seller was not really honest with the description and since i am in Europe, checking the car personally wasn't the option. I must trust him. Anyway, the car has LOT more rust than I expected mostly on the floorpan and rocker area and the quarters and fenders. Everything above that looks pretty good mostly surface rust. The car is all original, should be matching numbers. I have not went through everything but looks OK. I have the original warranty booklet with the protect-O-plate as well. I try to do an original restoration as much as I could.
I will post the pictures along the way as I move forward with my project.
here is the link to the pictures what I keep updating.
This is how the car arrived:
https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/pjEuBXU3QouV0s6

And this is what I found under the floor carpet:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7fALaCyV_HbMTRHUlE1clowY1k&usp=sharing

I am sure I will have plenty of questions.
Also If You guys might see something interesting please don't hesitate to let me know, because I am a newbie here so I might not catching every detail .

Thanks!:beers:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just an observation. I see the doors, VIN etc. are 67 but why is the car equipped with side marker lamps front and rear (which started in 68), is there a story behind this? Have you verified that the hidden VIN numbers match the Vin Tag?

·
13,971 Posts
68 quarters and fenders?

I think there are tons of Camaro brothern that are always happy to verify a car for a guy BEFORE he buys it. Or at least offer opinions when the dub felt vehicle is posted up for opinions.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Szia!
Looks pretty original. You can see the ME written on the right cylinder head and the inspection stamps on the firewall.
You got a long road ahead.... Good luck!

·
Registered
595 Posts
The marker lights look like aftermarket add-ons. The trunk pictures show no rectangular 68 mounting hole.

Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a challenging project ahead of you.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yes does look like quite a project. We look forward to seeing your progress.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an observation. I see the doors, VIN etc. are 67 but why is the car equipped with side marker lamps front and rear (which started in 68), is there a story behind this? Have you verified that the hidden VIN numbers match the Vin Tag?
Thanks for the feedback, where can i find the hidden VIN#'s?
:beers:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The marker lights look like aftermarket add-ons. The trunk pictures show no rectangular 68 mounting hole.

Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a challenging project ahead of you.
Yes it looks like aftermarket for me as well. The wiring to the those lights look like a 5 year old did . The new fenders are not having the holes anyway, so they wont be there after the restoration.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kurt!
You speak Hungarian? :)
:hurray:
Szia!
Looks pretty original. You can see the ME written on the right cylinder head and the inspection stamps on the firewall.
You got a long road ahead.... Good luck!

·
Registered
470 Posts
My top tip: Buy as much original GM sheetmetal as you can, buy old stock or very good used panels.

Especially front fenders (wings) and the doors.

You will save money and time in the long run !

I am in England and significantly further ahead on a similar restoration, PM me if you need tips on finding parts in Europe !

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the tips, but I already bought most of the parts i need for sure. I got the fenders and quarters with the car, they are OER GM certified.We'll see how they fit. Also I already ordered the full floor pan from Classic Industries. I looked the prices of the Original GM parts but they cost an arm and a leg. I hope I won't have too many problems with the fitment. But I will have lots of questions to You for sure during my restoration.:beers:
My top tip: Buy as much original GM sheetmetal as you can, buy old stock or very good used panels.

Especially front fenders (wings) and the doors.

You will save money and time in the long run !

I am in England and significantly further ahead on a similar restoration, PM me if you need tips on finding parts in Europe !

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Make sure the rocker panels are good, they are three layers. On mine the inner and outer looked ok I poked around and found out the center(structural) piece was totally rotten. Changing the rockers is a big job and expensive, just would be horrible to find this out after swapping out all the other sheet metal(like what happened to me.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure the rocker panels are good, they are three layers. On mine the inner and outer looked ok I poked around and found out the center(structural) piece was totally rotten. Changing the rockers is a big job and expensive, just would be horrible to find this out after swapping out all the other sheet metal(like what happened to me.
Hi,
Unfortunately my rockers are the same. I have to replace both of them. I am ordering them with the full floorpan from Classic Industries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts