Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a set from hearbeatcitycamaro, and like many others have seen in the past the angle isn't quite right:

At first glance it doesn't look to far off, but I have little faith that I can coerce these on at the right angle without crinkling them or damaging them beyond repair.
Any tips? Or better yet, any manufacturers or vendors you can recommend that sell these pieces with the actual correct curvature?

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Done many that look like that. They go on just fine and do not kink. Even GM ones I've used do not exactly match the rails. Piece of cake. Just walk it around the curve.
Not to highjack, but how do you prevent rust from forming under the moulding?

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
The gutter must have a good undercoat and there should be a bead of silicone in the bottom of the gutter after the trim is installed.
I never noticed the different angle because I start at the back and work forward. I used a piece of 3/4” block of wood, with a 3/8” piece of wood attached. Something like the picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
The rail support gets painted. Silicone is not required like Roger stated. In all my years of doing cars, I never had a drip rust put under the molding. Even cars I've owned and driven in the rain for decades. Most guys would have a stroke if their car saw one raindrop.

I install them with my hand or a long padded block. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
BC/CC circa 1988 rained on once covered misty rain two days not many miles. Cover the gutter in silicone or just the gutter section?

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
BC/CC circa 1988 rained on once covered misty rain two days not many miles. Cover the gutter in silicone or just the gutter section?
To reiterate: Install the driprail molding on the painted gutter support/driprail and be done with it. Who came up with the idea of sealing the driprail molding with silicone? First of all, silicone has no place being used on these cars in the autobody industry. Seam sealer is used where it is needed, and it is not the driprail molding. The gutter channel gets seam sealed and that is it. It has nothing to do with the molding. Do realize that drip molding only applied to a particular option? Go to CRG and do your homework.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
To reiterate: Install the driprail molding on the painted gutter support/driprail and be done with it. Who came up with the idea of sealing the driprail molding with silicone? First of all, silicone has no place being used on these cars in the autobody industry. Seam sealer is used where it is needed, and it is not the driprail molding. The gutter channel gets seam sealed and that is it. It has nothing to do with the molding. Do realize that drip molding only applied to a particular option? Go to CRG and do your homework.
Really don't care what original options were. As most say build it the way you want it. In the 80's didn't want it and may not now. Just asking. That is what we are here for.

Reactions: rogerh

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
I am the one that came up with siliconing the trim after being installed. This site is not about the AUTO INDUSTRY, it's a classic car hobby site. Most of us will have access to silicone, long before finding seam sealer. If you notice in my previous post, I said the gutters MUST be painted. But you have to know that the paint can very easily be removed by installing the trim. I don't know about you, but I found that trim to be very tight, as it should be. I am not taking any chances that the paint can not withstand the trim installation, so my trim and gutters are seal with what I choose to seal it with.
I would never say you should use silicone, but on the other hand I have found the silicone has worked, sealing the trim on my gutters.
The fact the gutter trim is a option has nothing to do with this thread.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I am the one that came up with siliconing the trim after being installed. This site is not about the AUTO INDUSTRY, it's a classic car hobby site. Most of us will have access to silicone, long before finding seam sealer. If you notice in my previous post, I said the gutters MUST be painted. But you have to know that the paint can very easily be removed by installing the trim. I don't know about you, but I found that trim to be very tight, as it should be. I am not taking any chances that the paint can not withstand the trim installation, so my trim and gutters are seal with what I choose to seal it with.
I would never say you should use silicone, but on the other hand I have found the silicone has worked, sealing the trim on my gutters.
The fact the gutter trim is a option has nothing to do with this thread.
Just pointing out the option and CRG because many don't know about options. This site is indeed about the auto industry. So I disagree. How are people restoring classics without knowledge about it? If you did not paint your car I'm sure the resto shop had auto industry knowledge. Many hobbyists gain industry knowledge to build their cars. Seam sealer is very easy to acquire just like silicone.

There is a method to make installing your tight moldings easier and reduce the fear of chipping the paint. Also a way to tighten loose drips when using repro driprail supports and nott cheating by crimping the molding. Not hard to figure out.
Plenty of other threads when people add off topic comments. Check them out and bark at them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts