Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am trying to wire in a MSD 6L on my factory pos coil there are 2 wires a small thin yellow and a thicker brown or dirty white. Can anyone tell me which of the two wires is the coil wire that I will use to plug into the MSD 6L gray wire. Any help guys ? . There are 3 wires going to my coil 1 black to neg and two going to pos a thin yellow and a thicker brown or dirty white. not real sure on its color

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The thin Yellow goes down to the solenoid and is hooked to the "R" terminal. This wire furnishes 12vdc to the coil while the starter is cranking at start up.

The "dirty" White (cloth covered) wire is the 'resistor' wire running back to the Ignition switch and hot when in Start or Run. This wire has @12vdc at initial key-on/start of the engine, and then it drops the voltage quickly as it warms into it's resistance mode and limits the voltage to the points system to give longer operating life.

Both of above are hooked to the Positive (+) side of the coil.

The Black or Brown wire from the coil goes to the Distributor and is hooked to the Negative (-) side of coil.

The Brown wire on the Tach wiring lead is normally the 'signal' wire for operation.
It should be hooked to the wiring leading to the Negative (-) side of the coil - or the Black or Brown wire in this case. It can then read the pulse of the coil grounding being done by the points.

The feed wire to your MSD unit usually wants to see a full 12vdc for it's power, so make sure the switched lead you use has the full battery voltage available vs. any drop from a resistor feed.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a bit lost on this john , my car is factory tach and it works fine, this is a brown wire that goes to coil ned as you said and there is a small yellow wire and the cloth wire both going to coil pos, this all was working fine with the factory point dist. Ok so now I put in a MSD very basic hook up with a grey wire from the 6AL box for the tac but which wire is my tac wire that is hooked to the coil

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So John if I am with you here your saying the 1 coil neg wire which is brown is the tac wire correct because this would make sense since my tac was working fine. By the way thank you for your help on this

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I am not sure how you would go about wiring your factory tach through the MSD box. The 67-68 have these printed circuit boards that the dash lights, and tach. http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1968_Dash_Cluster_Printed_Circuit_Board_p/das-169.htm You will have to tie a wire into the brown wire in the dash harness connector and connect the other end to the gray wire on the MSD box. It took me a while to remember how the printed board was wired.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The two wires (Yellow and resistor wire ) on the coil are positive. The black wire is from the distributor is negative. The printed circuit board supplies power to the tach through the wires in the instrument cluster connector. The dark brown wire in the dash harness is the tach wire. Tie a pigtail into this brown wire and run it to the gray wire from the MSD box. The tach should work. This is what I did on my 67 Camaro then ran the pigtail wire to plug into the MSD 6AL box. The old boxes had a tach connection on the end of the box. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts