Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Almost finished my 8 year resto on my 67 Camaro. I've managed to get all of my lights working, headlights, hi/low, brake lights, hazards, even the dash lights and licence plate light. Heck, even the horn works!

But I'm struggling with my right front turn signal. I thought maybe the flasher module was bad, the right one didn't work and would flash rapidly, errantly, and very weakly if at all. But just the right front turn signal.

So, I just replaced the old flasher with a new electronic 552 heavy duty one (and get a nice solid CLICK when the turn signals are on - sounds great). Left side works no problem, left front flashes evenly and nice and bright, as does the left rear signal.

But if I turn on the right turn signal, the right front blinks more evenly now (seems the flasher module has fixed the rapidness and irregularity), but it is still very weak (dim) compared to the left. And - the left front ALSO comes on too, (also weakly), so it looks like the front hazards are on (but dim) Right rear signal works just fine.

The hazards work, but again, the left flashes strong and bright, but the right side is dim and weak.

The battery is fully charged, the grounding on the right side signal looks clean and tight. Any ideas? I just can't figure out why the left front signal bulb lights up when the RIGHT turn signal is on? Bad switch, maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Bad ground on right side. The left comes on dim because it's trying to find a ground.

Get a Jumper wire and connect it to a known good ground like the battery. if you can access the base of the bulb while it's in the socket touch the jumper there and see if the light get brighter. if so then try at the socket where the wires come out, if bright there go to the attachment point of the ground wire and check it there. if not bright at the socket the sockets bad.

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. That makes sense. I'll give that a shot - thanks Jeff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff - you sir, are a genius. Ground wire to the battery and touched to the socket fixed the problem. Upon further inspection where the ground wire is riveted to the light housing is loose. I was working the other end where it connects to the firewall, didn't think to check the riveted end. At least now I know the issue. Thanks for your help, Jeff. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts