Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all car lovers. I'm knew to the sight and hardly know anything about chat rooms and such. I purchased a 67 camaro 327/210hp "coupe" about 6 weeks ago. In great shape and only about 1/10th has a little rust to fix. I'm doing a lot of detail work to start and lovin every minute of it.
To my question.
My headlights sit back from the headlight bezels about 1/4". I hate gaps in anything, smooth lines look great on a classic. Anyways, I have had the grill out, took out some dings and repainted the grill and bezels. While the grill was off I was checking all connections, wiring and bolts. I didn't see anything that would make the grill offset or make the headlights set back so far.
Does anyone know if the '68 bezels were different than the '67? I can't find a reason for the headlight/bezel gap and was thinking maybe the last owner installed some used '68 bezels instead of '67. It's on both sides except the driver side is a little worse. I studied a lot of '67 and '68 pic on line but can't tell if they are different. Were the standard (not RS) grills moved forward or back in either year?
Help would be appreciated,
Signed, the new kid on the block. (not really a kid I'm 53 but feel like a kid when working on the car) :confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wonder if you have 67 RS finders on the car that would explain the difference and why they set further back in the sockets.I have one plain and one RS had to make brakets to move the head light bucket forward.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's been a real long time since my car was together, but if I rememebr correctly, the gap is there to allow for adjustment of the beams without having to take off the trim.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...the standard h/l bezels on '67 and '68 ARE indeed different. The inboard side metal (aluminum) on the '67 bezel goes deeper in than the '68's did. This was basically because the grills were shaped differntly near the lights.
My first thought was as others, ...possible RS h/l brackets, ...but I too think you'd see more than 1/4" gap...

Welcome to the board :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Let's see some pictures. That will make it a lot easier to provide an intelligent response.

·
Registered
601 Posts
between 67 and 68 the head light bezels are different the 67 shorter and thinner. the 68 are longer and thicker in size if you had 2 against each other you will see 68 wont match a 67 grilll in bezel area.but for a 67 they all sit back from grill and body line.:beers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts