Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure if this should go in electrical or PT, but I figure I'll get bashed less here, so here goes...

This thread isn't about a hideaway headlight conversion, but rather the conversion to HID headlights in an RS Camaro. My headlight doors work great thanks to the Retro Elecro conversion I did several years ago, but the lights were a little underwhelming, even with the typical headlight relay upgrades. So I decided to do a true HID (projector) headlight conversion using a Bi-Xenon 42mm 35w 5000k kit from Dapper Lighting. This keeps the use of High/Low beam function. They make a 64mm projector, but I thought that was overkill. You can also upgrade to 55w kit, but more overkill. The kit comes with the headlight assemblies, ballasts, wiring harness and 5000k or 6000k bulbs. There's no way the 64mm kit would have fit in an RS car due to the oversized headlight housing.

Dapper 42mm projector 35w 5000k kit: https://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights/products/7-classic-projector

There were a few challenges along the way. Since I'm using the Retro Electro headlight motors, they occupy some of the same space that the new larger headlight body wanted to fill. And the headlight housing itself is larger, so a fair amount of trimming had to be done. If your car is all original, don't try this at home, but then again, you wouldn't be reading the Pro-Touring forum either...

Original, perfectly functional Halogens:

Here's one of the two HID ballasts. I mounted them in the space between the front fenders and the radiator support. My battery is in the trunk, so I had the room on both sides.

Passenger side headlight bucket. I had to cut a new opening for a auxilary light protrusion on the new headlight body, as well as widen up the 3 openings for the locator tabs.

You can see how much larger the opening in the door assembly had to be, as well as how the motor was in the way. I had to modify the back of the new headlights by trimming some of the housing away to fit. I also replaced the headlight aiming screws and the retaining spring after this photo was taken:

HID headlight attached to the door assembly:

Here's the new headlight installed and on low beam:

New headlights on:

The importance of proper aiming. I had to crouch way down to get this shot, but if the headlights are aimed too high, you can imagine blinding oncoming traffic!

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can see how yellow the parking lights look compared to the new headlights. I don't have pictures, but I have already converted these to some really cool LED's that are white when used as park lights, but turn to amber when used for turn signals. I'll post some night pics or a video in a couple of days, along with a shot of the headlight cutoff as well.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,457 Posts
Awesome, did this to my 67, not hid though. I upgraded the parking lights also they looked out of place with the new headlights. I was going to do the white and amber led bulbs too, but stuck with amber.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well done sir, looks great.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LED's all the way around Orangasm too.
So this is the surprise... very nice. I was really hoping for the gullwing doors! :) :noway:
Thanks. This wasn't exactly what I was eluding to in my build thread. This was only part of the surprise, but I don't think that plan is going to happen anytime soon. I'll update my build thread with that piece.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice install. I'm anxious to see how the parking lamps turned out too!! Good job.
Well done sir, looks great.
Thanks guys. I took a video last night, but because it was so dark out and with the camera angle, the lights look blindingly bright. If I post it, some [email protected]$$ is going to make some donkey comment on how it's too bright.

So, yeah, I guess I'll post it later today. >:)

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a couple of photos at dusk:

Headlights and parking lights both on:

Here's the lowbeam cutoff. I forgot to photo/video the high beams:

Quick video as promised showing parking lights, turn signals, 4 way flasher and HID headlights:

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad a$$! Who is the manufacturer of the running/turn signal lights? Looks great!
Thanks!

JDM Astar makes the parking light bulbs. They are called 1157 switchbacks, and they make a few different levels of brightness. Mine are the 3030's which are the brightest. They also make a bulb that alternates from white to Amber when you use the turn signals rather than off to Amber. I think the off to Amber (like mine) make the turn signals much more visable.

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Switchback-Projector/dp/B017C6B5H6

·
Registered
209 Posts
LED lighting a much better solution, light output is as good as HID but is instant on, they draw less power and needs no special wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LED lighting a much better solution, light output is as good as HID but is instant on, they draw less power and needs no special wiring.
I'm running LED's in place of my parking lights to act as a daytime running light, and then the HID's for my low/hi beams like just about every modern high end car. HID's are a more affordable option compared to 7" LED headlights. Just a personal preference, trying to keep an updated "old school" theme.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great upgrade, thanks for the write-up :)
Quick question, did you install load resistors to avoid too fast signal blinking? (I'm guessing yes)

Thanks,

Kevin
Sorry, yes, I'm running a pair of 50w 6ohm resistors to prevent hyper flashing.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Nice upgrade! I want to run HID and maybe Halo on my 69 bird when it get to it. Do they make these for the smaller 4 bulb cars?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice upgrade! I want to run HID and maybe Halo on my 69 bird when it get to it. Do they make these for the smaller 4 bulb cars?
They make 7" and 5 3/4" lights in a number of different options. Check out their website to see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts