Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best fitting long tube headers for my small block '67 RS/SS. I've looked at some older threads and sounds like there were some dynatech headers that fit well, but they have been discontinued. I have an IROC power steering box and a Tremec TKO 600 trans. My current long tube hooker headers fit, but are up tight to the steering box. They are also aluminized steel (textured surface) and I'd like to change to smooth ceramic coated. My engine is mildly modified, Isky 280 mega cam, torquer manifold, original L48 heads, slightly ported, so I don't need overly large tubes.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the dynatech with sbc and a IROC box and they are very close the box. I have been told that dougs are good
Thanks for that. My Hooker headers clear by about an 1/8th, but i'd like to see a 1/2" if i could

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks for that. My Hooker headers clear by about an 1/8th, but i'd like to see a 1/2" if i could
if thats the only place that they're close I wouldn't change them. You will find most headers will be close with that steering box. you can get your headers ceramic coated for $300

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is anyone running headers with a 350 and IROC power steering box that has 1/2" clearance to the box or more?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You've asked for the best fitting and not the cheapest so for an off the shelf application - Lemons headers. Call them and have a chat about your requirements - they will be able to advise. A friend has a set of their 1 7/8" small block headers on a particularly rowdy SBC in a 68 Camaro with perfect clearance everywhere. I usually make my own headers but when the application doesn't require that effort (I don't believe from what I'm reading that yours does) - Lemons is my first and usually only choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I had my small block in my 1969 I had the Dynatech tapered 1 3/4" long tube headers in it with 700 stearing box and a T56 behind it. They fit perfect and are great headers. I would recommend them for sure. I still have them as now there is a LS motor living in there now. If you were close I would be happy to let you try and fit them...but Covid is messing that all up now.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you happen to know the model number of these headers? I copied Dynatech tapered 1 3/4 long tube headers into the Speedway site and it says "may not fit 1967 Camaro" I wonder if '67 and '69 are different?

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
You can still get the dynatech headers, they're just Stainless now, Besides a full custom like Lemons, I 'don't think you'll ever see a 1/2" of clearance at the steering box. My dynatechs fit great, and have a 4 bolt ball and socket collector flange, better than the 3 bolt/gasket setup.

If the dynatechs didn't fit on my car (but they did) I was going to go with Lemons,
Here is a picture of Lemons on a Camaro.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can still get the dynatech headers, they're just Stainless now, Besides a full custom like Lemons, I 'don't think you'll ever see a 1/2" of clearance at the steering box. My dynatechs fit great, and have a 4 bolt ball and socket collector flange, better than the 3 bolt/gasket setup.

If the dynatechs didn't fit on my car (but they did) I was going to go with Lemons,
Here is a picture of Lemons on a Camaro.

View attachment 274831
Ok, found the stainless headers 740-11610 with 2 1/2" cones.They're about $999.00 at Summit. I assume they're unpolished, but I think I'll order them. How much clearance do you have at the steering box?

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Best fitting headers besides ones built directly on the car are Lemon’s, hands down. He’ll build a set for your car, any number of combinations and ship them to you.
He built a set for me, for my SB2.2 ( not buying those off the shelf, lol) They are 1 7/8” to 2”, 3 1/2” collecter in the primary length I asked for. They fit better than most if not all off the shelf 1 5/8” primary headers I’ve seen.
I have a manual box currently but a regular sized power box would fit, plenty of room. Super tight to the floor boards and plenty of spark plug access. They are by far and away worth every penny I paid for them.

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts