Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is the long and short of it. I need some advice from the experts. I have a 67 rs/ss with a console and original m20 and hurst shifter. Before I removed the engine the shifter fit fine and the shifter slider fit fine. I replaced the engine with a crate motor and everything went fine. However when I went to put the shifter on, the top bolt would hit the edge of the tunnel. I lossened the bolt and it will shift through all gears. However the plate keeps the transmission from shifting into 3rd and 4th.

How do I fix? Do I lossen the transmission mount bolts, raise the engine with hoist and try to pry transmission to the drivers side an inch? I am out of ideas on what to do.

Could the transmission be twisted slightly? Maybe lossen trans mount to bell housing and twist the trans to left slightly? I wouldn't think it would twist all that much.

Thanks. I did a search and found an archive about a similar problem but it was about going from a SB to BB. I keep a SB in car.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
What else did you change ? Something else is different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shifter only goes in the mount one way so that isn't it. Nothing else changed. I pulled transmission off, pulled out old engine. Put transmission on new engine, put new engine in car, put in cross member attached trans and cross member to car. Then removed tension from engine hoist and removed jack holding up on bell housing that was used while I put cross member in car and bolted it down.

Motor mounts only go one way as well. I think the motor mount holes are round and not oval? If they are oval I could loosen the passenger side motor mounts to engine and remove some tension off tans and engine and see if I can pull the tans to the left some? i'll see about taking pictures tonight and posting them.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Check the bottom crossmember in this pic. The three holes pointed out for the shifter should be on the driver side but the crossmember will actually install either way. I'm not sure that it doesn't move the transmission mount over if it's backwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked at the cross member this morning before i left for work and it is backwards. I'll flip it around this weekend or maybe even tonight if i have time. I suspect that is the issue as that is the only difference in before engine replacement and after. If that solves the issue then you are a genius for pointing that out as a possible issue. I must have put it in reverse in my haste to get the car running. the only problem will be getting it all out and such with the headers and all that other things already installed. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switched the crossmember. No dice. Still about 1" off. I bet the shift linkage is bent. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Loosen your motor mounts on block and frame. Loosen crossmember bolts to frame and to trans ratchet strap the trans to the driver side and tighten everything down. There is a little slop in the motor mounts on block and frame. I hade same issue, just not that much and the other way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yea, if you take the weight off with a hoist you can prob push it by hand. I returned mine back to my friend before I put the trans in. Btw, I have the exact same setup as you. You can get to all the bolts. Not too difficult either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that tomorrow. Put hoist on engine and take weight off. Lossen bolts on trans and engine mounts and try to push it all over to the drivers side some. Then let it all down and tighten it all back up. I'll post up how it goes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you get it where you want it tighten the crossmember and trans bolts to hold it in place. Then drop the hoist and tighten the motor mounts. All 14.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Interesting problem. Have you solved it yet?

If not, my suggestion would be to carefully look at the two engine mounts and see if maybe one is different. There are a wide variety of mounts being used, often incorrectly. Perhaps someone replaced a mount and it worked on that side, but then when you swapped engines, you ended up using the offending mount on the other side and that skewed the alignment a tad.

Keep us posted. Good luck............ Keep at it, you'll find it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts