Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 67 OER tach and Pertronix Ignitor III in their 67 camaro? I have searched and haven't found an updated post. I'm thinking about purchasing an 67 OER 5500 redline tach, but not sure if I will need a tach filter with the pertronix. Just trying to get some info on the two working together.

I have added an AAW console conversion wiring kit to the console and bulkhead, so hopefully I want have a problem with the hookup. Any info will be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed the new oer tach with a filter today. When starting the motor the needle moves up to 500 rpm and then falls to zero. I'm using the factory printed circuit board that was used for the fuel gauge. Is there not enough voltage in the board to power the tach? Do I need to run a extra power wire to the positive (+) stud on the tach? I used the AAW wiring conversion harness with the brown wire going to the (-) side of the coil. Is there a tach wiring diagram or does anyone have some pictures? THANKS

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
It seems the consensus for your particular high energy ignition system and OER tach is that a filter is not required. Remove it and see if your bounce to 500 rpms stops.

1967 used one PCB for both tachometer and non tachometer vehicles. The PCB supplies the power and the ground for the tachometer without any changes. The Signal wire from the tachometer if the harness is a conversion or the vehicle had original tachometer routes just fine from coil to the connector. However if not an original tachometer vehicle and you are not using a conversion harness, you have to reuse the old fuel gauge sender line in the plug/PCB and reroute to the coil or tach port through the firewall. Some folk just cut the wire at the harness pcb plug and run fresh through the firewall. Others reroute the line at the bulkhead connector as factory tachometers used.

Hope that helps you out. post some photos if you are still in dark water.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Brian. I removed the instrument cluster and checked for voltage on the pink wires in the plug and I have it. I also checked the PCB at the two points where the tach should get its power and it ohms out. I'm not sure if it's not the tach. I hooked the brown signal wire to the negative side of the coil per the conversion instructions. The signal wire is new wiring from the instrument plug through the bulkhead to the coil. Thanks

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
67 used the D-Z connections in the bulkhead connector. So if you are on point with those then yes it looks to be the tachometer.

Do you have an old style engine analyzer that has tachometer functions? If so hook it up and see if the coil is producing signal that is readable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts