Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Past posting-purchased camaro April 7th, 1967, 350/295 SS/RS-4speed muncie.
#1, 1983 car show with Son Preston
#2, 1986 Family, Wife-Loretta, Daughter-Jennifer, Son-Preston
#3, 1967 Camaro one month old
#4, 1969 Camaro, added stripe and side marker lights-not a good idea
#5, 2006 Camaro at our Home,

http://www.vstevenson.com/kskeith

PREVIOUS POST
Purchased Camaro April 7th, 1967 for $2,975, 2dr coupe
bolero red with white stripe, deluxe black interior with
4 speed muncie. Went to buy a used car at the local Chevrolet
dealer (West Plains, Mo.) and the Camaro was on the showroom floor, dealer asked 3,175 and being 17, I would need a cosigner, I told
my Dad I found a car, he asked how much, I said 3,175 he said Used!
I replied brand new, (to this day why my Dad cosigned ??) He talked
the price down to 2,975, at that time I worked in Kansas City.

Feb 27th 2008 a few stories… I have several and probably write a book.
April 7th 1967 from the dealer I drove the car to my Dad’s service station and put it on the grease rack to check out the car, when I checked the rear-end for grease it showed nothing, I put 6 # in the differential, a good thing it was not driven very far.

I worked at City Hall in KC, doing drafting work. Before the camaro I had no car in KC, rode the bus to and from work. I worked on the 24th floor with about 6 other draftsman, you can imagine going to work in the new camaro, I parked close to city hall where you could see the car from the 24th floor. That morning I called the guys over to the window and said look at that red camaro in the parking lot, they were excited and thought that it was a good looking car, I said it is my car, all said NO-WAY!, told them did they want to go for a ride- they said oh-yeah sure,
We went down the elevator and across the street-all the time they kept saying you do not own that car!, arrived at the car all the guys were looking with anticipation this could not be keith pierce’s car he is 17, well I pulled out the keys and slowly inserted the key into the key slot and turned the key and the door lock popped-up and needless to say they were in awe and ready to go for a ride.

I turned a rod bearing at 1,000 miles; no parts were available for the 350/295 motor, 3 weeks to get going again.

Was on a date and the night was dark , no stars, driving down a main highway at 70 mph, and somehow the headlight switch was hit and the electric headlamp doors started to close, I turned the lights back ON, but the doors cycle all the way closed and then open. With the doors being solid I had not lights for a minute very scary situation, trying to slow down from 70 and not being able to see anything. Chevrolet I believe made the doors with see-thru on the next year models.

Going to college at night I had another scary situation, while coming home I shifted the car thru the gears when I hit 3rd gear the motor stayed at high rpms, like you put the pedal to the floor and it stayed there, I put the breaks on but the car still was running at high speed and not going to stop, I then turned the key off and the engine turned Off.
What happened was the motor mount broke on the drivers side and the
Engine torque over and the throttle link jammed full ON and stayed on till I turned the key Off. I installed a new motor mount. A few months later I received a notice from Chevrolet about the engine torque over and throttle stick problem. Their fix was a wire cable you put thru the motor mount around the chassis with cable clamp.
At the time several cars in high traffic situations did run out of control and caused some deaths.

In the summer of 68 I worked in KC and went home to West Plains, Mo. Almost every weekend. One Hot Sunday afternoon I was heading to KC and on Hwy 13 and was surprised when a Dodge Super bee with the black stripe around the trunk passed me doing about 100 mph, the bee had a Mississippi license plate and the guys in the car were Black (no disrespect). Well it kind of incensed me and got me thinking about the Missouri Highway patrol always had a speed trap setup the same place every Sunday. I knew it was a several miles ahead, the speed trap was the short two tripod timing trap and was placed on a long downhill run, the capture or pickup Patrol car was at the top of the uphill run, the patrol would radio the speed and car color and type to the pickup Patrol area.
I thought if I could pass these guys a few miles before the trap and give them enough time to repass me they would be going pretty fast down the hill.
Well I timed it right and passed them doing about 100 mph and sure enough here they came and sucked me under and the timing was perfect down the hill they went about 110 mph, and the capture car the Highway patrol had the guys out of the car and when I drove by I received verbal jesters and hands with finger sticking up, I believe they knew I had set them up.
I went on to KC quickly. To this day every time I drive down that hill I think of that incident.

My Son is a Chiropractor 30 years old and we have been blessed with a grandson
That is 8 months old, I am passing the car to my Son and I expect him to pass it on to His Son.

Best Regards, KansasKeith

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
Cool pics. Dig that plaid suit.

I really like the redlines and caps. Looks great and is amazing you have kept it all these years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply, i added some stories to the posting., the clothes
were something dont have the clothes but kept the camaro.
Kansaskeith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply, I owned a company and built tube amps for ZZ top, the company was legend musical instruments. I added some stories to the posting with the car.
Kansaskeith

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Very very cool, Car still looks great ( Glad to see the strips and lts gone) . If you think about it you have a free car for all those years. ( If you were to sell it ) Even with insur & maint. your way ahead keepingit all that time. You dont even have to find the original owner to ask about history like the rest of us try to do.

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
Nice story, nice car, congrats on the grandson.
Glad you wised up on the stripe........LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow thats some good old stories their about the Camaro. I hope i can hold on to mine that long.Ive only had mine a little over a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts