Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the secret to installing the '67 Pinion Bumper, or am I just not strong enough to shove it in? I've tried silicon lubricant and brute force, but there must be a trick.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I've had good luck slightly trimming one side of the barb and then slidning into the slot while holding with a pair of Vise-Grip wide-jaw pliers.
Still slip and get my arm at times, but it works ... :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try the pliers. I was beginning to think they pressed the bracket and the bumper together and then welded it to the floorpan...
One other thing: there are three lines on one side of the bumper. Do you know if it makes a difference which way it installs?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
:eek: no ...
Don't remember any lines on the ones I used ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After thinking about this some more, I rolled my floor jack under the car, stuck the bumper in a 2" white plastic plumbing flange to hold it upright, coated it with liquid hand soap, put it on the jack, and slowly raised it into position. It popped right in. No blood or skin loss. I was feeling pretty good until I dropped a pinion thrust washer out of my 12 bolt posi, but I pried the spring plates out until I could move the pinion gear inward enough to slip in the washer. Out of thread locker for the pinon shaft lock bolt, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts