Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some pointers in replacing the rear tail lamp harness for a 67 camaro? How do you remove the kick panel? You have to take of the parking brake assembly off as well, right? The tail lamp harness is an original replacement and runs from the rear tail light all the way to the fuse box. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,997 Posts
You will also need to remove the drivers seat, rear seat, sill plate and wire cover that is under the carpet. If you have deluxe interior you will need to remove the rear interior panel. Below is a pic of the wiring harness coming out of the wire cover that you will find under the carpet.
Hope this helps.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, great, sounds like more work than I expected but oh well. Another question I have is the harness that I have is american autowire. I have the sail panel lights, not the dome lights. When I bought the harness the guy thought that if I had the sail panel lights I should have the under dash lights as well. This always the case? It matters because the harness came with or without the underdash lights and the one I have doesn't have the underdash lights (no bigge I can return it). I wasn't sure if I had them because they have never been on, but I came home and checked and on both ends, underneath the dash, by the kick panels, there is a hole. Is that what that is for? I don't see any wires or anything that look like they go there. See below pics. Thanks. I am pretty sure the last pic doesn't have anything to do with the lights.

·
Premium Member
13,997 Posts
The connector for the sail panel lights and the dome light are the same connector on the rear harness. It is located just under the package try on the drivers side and all harnesses should have that connector.
The picture below shows the courtesy light connector and it is located at the top of the drivers side kick panel. The orange and white wires are the courtesy light harness plugged in to that connector. All rear body harnesses didn't have the courtesy light connector. I believe the courtesy light connector was on the converts or the RS cars.

Roger

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am a little confused. Can I add the underdash courtesy light to a base coupe, thats not an RS or does my car already have to have an existing adapter for the harness to tie in to? I bought the rear light harness that did not come with an underdash light connection with it and if I can add the underdash light to my base coupe, I am going to return the harness that I bought. When you say courtesy light are you refering to the underdash light or is the courtesy light any interior light that comes on when the car door is open?

·
Premium Member
13,997 Posts
Courtesy lights are the lights under the dash. My car was a stock RS car and had the connecter I showed in the picture. If you have a light in your console I would thing you could cut in to that circuit.
Were you replacing the rear harness to get the courtesy lights?
By looking at your deleted post I can tell you the sail panel lights were part of the deluxe interior package. The courtesy lights were another option on the coupes but standard on the converts.

Roger

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I was replacing the the rear lights because they only work half the time and the wiring looks pretty rough. Okay, so just because I have sail panel lights doesn't mean I am supposed to have courtesy lights. Thanks. I looked again last night and I definatly do not have a courtesy light plug or anything existing for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts