Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped on this one.. the "C" clip is off, but the crank handle refuses to budge from the shaft on the left rear window crank. The right side came off fine, but there's something either previous done to this one, or I am missing something.

I can push the trim panel inward and visually see there is no "C" clip. I can't figure out what's hold it on in the splines.

I slide a 1/4 piece of wood to pry against to avoid damaging the trim panel. No luck. I mean this thing won't budge. Before I take a dremel cutting wheel to the handle, which is badly pitted anyway, I wanted to ask for advice.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I am stumped on this one.. the "C" clip is off, but the crank handle refuses to budge from the shaft on the left rear window crank. The right side came off fine, but there's something either previous done to this one, or I am missing something.

I can push the trim panel inward and visually see there is no "C" clip. I can't figure out what's hold it on in the splines.

I slide a 1/4 piece of wood to pry against to avoid damaging the trim panel. No luck. I mean this thing won't budge. Before I take a Dremel cutting wheel to the handle, which is badly pitted anyway, I wanted to ask for advice.

Thanks!
You can get a new handle from the help section cabinet at most auto parts. Otherwise wiggle the yell out of it or drill it and use some king of puller.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
255 Posts
I almost wonder if there is a broken piece of clip jammed in there.

Good idea about a puller. A windshield wiper arm puller would work pretty good, I expect.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You might try taking a rubber mallet and tapping it a few times. If there is something in the slot or the splines are corroded, a small amount of movement in and out may break it free.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
use a hair dryer tight on handle base while tapping with rubber mallet

If moisture got in there, try spraying some PB on the spline part where it goes into handle using the thin tube tip that should come with the can of PB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the rubber mallet, side to side, for several minutes. No luck with that. Going to use the puller next. I can't see anything lodged in the C clip notches. Previous owner could have used epoxy / JB Weld, IDK. Makes no sense to me. I am taking it slow to avoid any damage to the trim panel and window mechanism / shaft splines.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,075 Posts
I tried the rubber mallet, side to side, for several minutes. No luck with that. Going to use the puller next. I can't see anything lodged in the C clip notches. Previous owner could have used epoxy / JB Weld, IDK. Makes no sense to me. I am taking it slow to avoid any damage to the trim panel and window mechanism / shaft splines.
Make sure you block it up with at least 1/4" plywood, but actually I think a piece of 1/8" steel with a "U" slot and maybe 6" in diameter or so would help. Where the crank is... its just 1/8" chipboard like they use to make jigsaw puzzles. I'm guessing that maybe the handle is corroded on to the shaft. If you can distribute the pressure to a flat piece of something and grab the round section of the handle and lift... it might come loose.

·
16,816 Posts
Use a faucet handle remover.. Drill a hole in the center of the handle large enough to insert the center of the puller.

Tripod Camera accessory Cameras & optics Electric blue Metal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts