Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm first in line to buy this car, it didn't meet reserve!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=320099993699&rd=1&rd=1

Per conversations with seller:
- Have owned the car several years, painted before he purchased it
- Poor quality several year old paint job, looks good at 10 feet or more
- Top and rear window in good condition, small tear in top
- Era correct 327 w/ flat tops, camel hump heads, stock style intake & exhaust manifolds, Q-Jet
- About 1K miles on engine rebuild
- Block allegedly has correct #s for L30 275hp option (4P on cowl)
- Previous owner reportedly went to great lengths to find correct block
- Muncie 4-speed, but don't know if it's original
- 12-bolt rear with factory traction bar and aftermarket 4:10 gear
- No known or visible rust through anywhere
- Rear dampeners missing, don't know about front ones
- Runs and drives fine, headlight door motors redone and working
- Recent battery, carpet, heater core, radiator shroud
- Power steering and manual drum brakes that work fine
- No radio
- Tires in good condition but several years old
- Factory style exhaust in good condition, don't know if AL or steel
- Deluxe interior in good shape but shows age a little (no rips/tears)
- Local mechanic who seller knows well says car can be advertised as "rust free Southern car" and says body panels appear original

What would be a good price? I'm thinking mid 20's at the most? I'm all ears. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Since it's a highly prized and beautiful color convert, mid 20's is probably minimum. It may not be an SS and I like that it isn't badged as one. You would need to know where the speedometer cable exits the firewall to determine an SS or not. The 327 came with a Saginaw 4 speed and the cable exited on the left of the steering column, same as the Powerglide. The Muncie cable exited to the right of the throttle cable and was only used with the 350. Also, knowing the build date on the trim tag would be helpful in that determination. Either way, it's a VERY nice looking car and the L30 was a very close competitor to the L48.....:thumbsup:

Good Luck......:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Left is always drivers side....as if sitting in the seat. So when looking at the firewall it will be on the right of the column....:D

·
Registered
580 Posts
I say mid to upper $30's out west. As a comparison, here is a comparable conditioned 230 L6/3spd non-RS convertible, which the seller is asking $30k for. I'd say the blue RS is worth at least $5-8k more...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/309430599.html

·
Registered
601 Posts
car looks good . but but hows car underneath no pics. its looks good but i would look under car before buying hows frames, back frames ruster underbody. anybody could paint and sell it to look good. beware hate you to spend 20,000 and underneath gone.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
car looks good . but but hows car underneath no pics. its looks good but i would look under car before buying hows frames, back frames ruster underbody. anybody could paint and sell it to look good. beware hate you to spend 20,000 and underneath gone.
I requested and received numerous pics of underneath (to look for rust, verify 12-bolt w/ factory traction bar, etc.). Looks solid, seems to substantiate the "rust free" claim. And it does have a 12-bolt w/ factory traction bar (aka radius rod?).

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
This is very true, Ed. The car is only worth what someone will pay for it. The 8 people that saw and bid on it during the week it was on eBay, felt it was worth 19.6k. He could relist it next week and get a whole new crowd and sell it for much more.....it's very unpredictable on eBay.

According to the 8 the bidders on ebay, it's worth 19.6k. If it were worth more, people would have bid more.

Ed
I requested and received numerous pics of underneath (to look for rust, verify 12-bolt w/ factory traction bar, etc.). Looks solid, seems to substantiate the "rust free" claim. And it does have a 12-bolt w/ factory traction bar (aka radius rod?).
Have you made any headway on it ?? I'm not especially a convert fan, but the Marina Blue with white is a favorite of mine. It really is a beautiful car...:yes:
May the Force be with you on your quest.....:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is very true, Ed. The car is only worth what someone will pay for it. The 8 people that saw and bid on it during the week it was on eBay, felt it was worth 19.6k. He could relist it next week and get a whole new crowd and sell it for much more.....it's very unpredictable on eBay.

Have you made any headway on it ?? I'm not especially a convert fan, but the Marina Blue with white is a favorite of mine. It really is a beautiful car...:yes:
May the Force be with you on your quest.....:D
In response to [email protected] - E-bay bidders are often looking for a bargain, and I believe the car is worth more than $19.6K. Agree with MD88IROC that it can be a crap-shoot.

In response to MD88IROC - Awiating response from forum member in the area to look at the car for me ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Awiating response from forum member in the area to look at the car for me ASAP.
:thumbsup: Smart move....that's the best way to "see" it without being there. I have used that with a couple in the past and should have used it for a "certain" one I just sold.
I'll keep HAPPY thoughts for you....:hurray:

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Chevy1, I agree completely. EVERYBODY wants to find a deal. (Who doesn't!!)

But ebay is (generally) not the place to go for bargains. Way too much exposure... You usually find the deals locally by stumbling onto them.

However, that being said, I was looking for a 1969 Corvair Convertible last year for my daughter. There was one listed on ebay that was local to me. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't have the original engine. I didn't bid just to see what it would do, and the car didn't meet reserve. (It missed by about $500.00). I contacted the seller and asked if I could come look at it. After doing additional research and finding out that he knew where the original engine was, I went ahead and offered him his reserve price IF he would go get the original engine for me. He agreed and the deal was struck. So I got my bargain, and he got his reserve.

There's a lot of give and take in the used car world. Even on ebay. If you do your research and are willing to do some leg work, you can get a good deal.

Ed

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TTT. Inspection report is back. Paint job is actually OK to good with a few blemishes - definitely presentable. Car is rust free and "one of the most solid I've seen" according to long time first gen Camaro owner who inspected it. Interior looks good. Engine numbers are correct for L30 (275hp 327) and align with cowl tag having 4P on it (but not an SS [350]). Definitely has 12-bolt with factory traction bar. New battery. All dampeners are missing. Seller and I are only about $1500 apart so I'm calling him again tomorrow.

Anyone thinking differently on price now?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TTT - New/additional information below. I'm not crazy about the color and am really considering buying it and painting it bolero red. Want a nice driver, not an all-original trailer queen. Personally feel that if I ever sold it, a red paint job would actually help despite the factory color being marina blue. The price of adding a nice paint job to this very solid, rare car is the same as buying the ones I'm finding that are modified non-original RS or SS cars.

- Speedo cable exits on left side of column, so originally a Saginaw
- Seller's mechanic confirrmed the current trans is a Muncie
- Paint is pretty good, no repaint required anytime soon
- Runs and drives fine (had someone test drive it for me)
- Rather quiet due to factory style exhaust
- Engine was rebuilt with 2.02/1.60 fulie heads, only has ~1K miles on it
- 4.10 gear may be original?

My plans if I buy the car:
- 15x8 Corvette ralley wheels & 60-Series tires (may sell 14x6 wheels on the car now)
- Front disc brake upgrade (would probably keep original parts)
- Flowmaster or Dynomax mufflers (may sell the original parts)
- Intake manifold and headers (would keep the original parts)
- Add a radio and speakers
- Paint (longer term)

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Mid 20's is a good buy. Don't get too excited by the L30/M20 combination its still a base car. I've owned several hardtop L30/M20's and own a 68 L30 auto ragtop now. Although the camaro enthusiast might give the combo a nod the $$$ for the setup is depreciable at resale as noted in this auction. The car would have brought more money with an SS hood, sorry to say.

·
Registered
716 Posts
"Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!"

I'm not sure I would do much to this car at all! Just enjoy it!!!:thumbsup:

I believe both Bolero Red and Marina Blue are an even selling points for the future!
The fact that it mostly original minus the tranny would make me want to keep it Marina Blue!

That's a nice car!:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts