Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pair of RS headlamp assemblies. I found a pair fully refurbished for 600 minus motors. I also found a pair
Unrestored but clean for 800 with motors.

I then noticed you can get reproductions for 160 per.

Are the repops good or should I go for the originals?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Unless the vehicle is something special save your money! I have seen and spoken with others that have installed the assembles without any issues. $800.00-vs $320.00 is a lot of coin for something that is hidden 99% of the time. Put the money you save into something worthwhile like better electric motors from Retro Electric . ( http://retro-electro.net/products.html ) They make a great replacement motor that is both easy to install and "reliable", no more partial open/ closings. Just a first rate product all around that others here will confirm, plus great service/help if required.

They also have a kit that gives you assemblies, motors and hook up.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
X2.

If you just want RS to say you have RS save your money and get the fake stuff, it happens to work better/longer.

The original stuff was very problematic and unless you have a requirement to go OEM, I'd opt for reliability and cost savings.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Thanks RSSS.

Regarding the aftermarket headlight housings:
I highly recommend the aftermarket headlight housings made by CHQ (Classic Headquarters), which are VERY accurate reproductions and fit well.

It seems most Camaro restoration shops carry the CHQ brand headlight housings.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
The CHQ RS headlamp assemblies I installed on the last car were not too bad. You'll have to tweak them for alignment. The bezels and grille moldings are like aluminum foil however. The lower grille molding's peak is wrong and horribly matches the grille. I don't care what part it is, nothing beats working with an original GM part. Valance is GM, Fenders are late stamped NOS and header is Goodmark. Late NOS fender flaws are another topic.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I agree the aluminium treatment on the repop grills and bezels today is crap! if one can find the nos items for these at a reasonable price than great!

I have found that both NOS and repop items require tweaking in many cases but it depends on the car. Fitment issues are not necessarily a fault of the part but a multitude of other areas that have issues on the individual car that cause parts to misalig, Frame damage, sagging frame, worn door hinges, car accidents where structural repairs and alignments are not 100% corrected at time. Having a NOS piece is not going to make things easier if the above is an issue. We are all aware how insurance companies like to save monies and we have all seen how some shops just band-aid things together to save a buck!

This is not to say that there are not some really bad repop pieces out there as there are... lots ! You need only check on the site here thankfully to find members comments on them. :) The hobby that we have chosen unfortunately does have the necessary evil of having to tweak things.:)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Most original RS cars that I've seen had small (look like 1/3 size wheel alignment) shims under the 2 headlight housing-to-radiator support attachment points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts