Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved this to a new thread as I need help ASAP. Just installed new RS wiring harness, relays, diode harness, limiting switches and rebuilt headlight doors. It all looked good. When I give it the first try, here is what I got.

Key off-pulled on parking lights.....no front parking lights, but doors opened with headlights on. (I know doors don't close unless ign switch is on)

Key on-pulled on parking lights.....no front parking lights, but doors opened with headlights on. Pulling light switch to full on did not
change lack of front parking lights. Turning off the headlight switch allowed the doors to close and headlights to turn off . (Rear lights work ok)

Why do my headlights come on and doors open when headlight switch is in parking light position? What am I missing here? I have rechecked diode wiring. Hideaways function great, except they come on in parking light position. I have no front parking lights or front turn signals. Appreciate your help on this one.
Pop

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do both park lights have a good ground?

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Sounds like you've got two different things going on here.
Important to note, parking lights only come on in the first detent position. When headlights are on and doors open parking lights are off (common on pre-68 cars).

Regarding the parking lights, the simplest reason could be bad GND or wrong bulbs maybe. They need to be 2 filament like 1157 or 2357. The parking lights have ground pigtails that go to the inner fender. Check that they are grounded.

Put a meter (or test light) in the socket of the park lights on the contacts when the lightswitch is pulled out to the first detent(one click, in other words) and see if you have power there.

Is the car an orignal RS and is this a stock harness or something else?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
67 RS Car. All new RS wiring harness with no splicing or modification. It all works sweet, except no parking lights in front and headlights & Doors function when headlight switch is in park pos. I am triple checking grounds and such.
Pop

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Hmm. Is it a 67 headlight switch? Is it new? 68/69 are different.

Another thought FWIW, If you want to troubleshoot the parking lights independent of the RS doors you can disconnect the 2 wire (brown and blue) that runs through the firewall above the brake pedal and all your headlight door (relay) controls will be OFF.

Good luck. Hope this helps! Let us what you find.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just made sure of the grounds on parking lights. I ran a jumper to the neg bat terminal to the white ground wires on the front parking lights. Also put in new bulbs. Now I have parking lights, but they only come on with the headlights. No front parking lights only.

RS Car, completely new wiring harness from front to rear. Harness has the voltage reg. delete and is set up for a one wire alt. I bought new headlight switch, no difference same problem noted below.

The headlights come on & doors open when headlight switch is in first detent (parking light position). In fact the headlights and doors function before the headlight switch has moved all the way to the first detent. I need some of your vast experience to help me with this problem.
Pop

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Something different here on this end as compaired to yours. The blue wire is in different location..I'm trying to figure our just what mine is doing or not doing. I will try to relocate the blue wire to a position shown in you picture. What do you thinK. Would this blue wire location cause the problem I described?
Pop

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
That light switch is wired incorrectly The blue wire is the headlight wire, the purple one way in the back is the parking lamp wire. That blue wire in that location will (should) have 12V on it in either switch position, and was used on 68 Camaros for the parking light position. That will definatley cause your headlight doors and headlights to open and turn on in either position. Move the blue wire to the vacant pin next to the brown and green wires, which should only have 12V with the switch in the headlight position. If the parking lights still don't work, look at the connectors at the end of the parking lamp harnesses themselves for a bad connection as the wire appears to be in the correct position on the switch. Also check for 12V right at the switch with the switch in the parking lamp position, might have a problem with the switch itself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switching the blue wire did the trick. Everything works like it is supposed to work. Thanks guys for the help. I probably would have never thought to check that connector. Appreciate your help.
Pop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts