Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone
Hopefully I can get some help from you guys. I have a '67 rs that I spent the winter restoring to a pretty stock car other then the engine wich is now a 383 w/475hp. I replaced the mono leaf spring with a 5 leaf set. I tightened the shackles when the car was on the ground. Now it seems to sit 4-5 inches higher then it should. Also, Any suggestions on getting rid of the annoying wheel hop without putting those ugly traction bars on?
Thanks alot of the help in advance.
Brad

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Brad, I think the solution to your problem would be to use lowering blocks underneath the rear axle on both sides. The other thing that would bring the height down would be to use a four leaf set-up instead of the five leaf.

I also did a Mono to Multi leaf conversion on my 67 with the 5 leaf set-up and it raised the back end up quite a bit..... around three inches or so. I'm using a 255/60/15 tire to take up the extra gap between the wheel and the wheel well.

As for the wheel hop... traction bars would be your best bet, since the body on the 67's were not set up for the staggered shock set up which solved the wheel hop problem on the 68's on up. You can modify the body on the 67's to work with the staggered shock system, but it requires relocating the shock tower on the driver's side which involves alot of cutting and welding the tower farther back from the mono tower position. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
Maybe remove the two shortest springs and see where it sits ?
This the easiest route, but quite abit of labor involved. But then, labor is free?

It takes a few hundred miles and some bumpy road driving for springs to settle. The more bumps one drives over, the more the spring flexes, the spring settles out more.

Haul a few bags of Quikrete.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I put the 1 1/2 lowering Hotchkis springs.5 leafs.My car does not sit as low as I thouhgt but it is better that the original singal leafs.Plus no wheel hop at all they said they are go to about 500hp.I have BFG radials and Bilstein shocks put no wheel hop.Later Im thinking about 1 inch lowering blocks.She will burn the tires all the way up the street but no wheel hop.I have about 420 hp soon to be close to 500hp.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Another alternative is to find a driveline shop that will de-arch the springs. That is the route I chose.

Did you guys put 5 leafs in a mono perch?

-Funk
Chris, I still have the Mono perches with the multi leafs. They work either way, but you have to double up on the waffles at the top of the leaf springs for them to seat properly.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Everyone says it sits too high with 5 leaf spring , I conciderd using a 3 leaf, then gave on that to install air shocks. I use the car for longer trips and load it diferent each time so air shocks give the flexability to adjust hight. My car has no rust isues to worrie about shock mounts and I only need 25 lbs to get a perfect ride height. Not for everyone But It works for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had the same problem . I installed the lowering blocks . After driveing the car for about 500 miles I removed them. car sits as if the blocks were still there.I agree that they will settle after driveing the car for a while. The blocks just sped things up a bit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You know, I've been searching everywhere on this issue because I've got the same problem. It seems to me that people with the 67 and 68 camaro have a higher ride height after installing multi leafs and people with the 69 have had little to no problems. Did the two body styles come with a different setup? 69 Camaro owners seem to always end up with a lower ride after buying what seems to be the same products. Hell, I just finished installing the Hotchkis 1.5 inch lowered multi (3) leafs in place of my original monos on my 67 and ended up with a much higher ride height than 69 owners that are installing 5 leafs. Hell, it's a full HANDWIDTH taller. What gives?

Check out the ride height of the rears at http://www.67camarors.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
731 Posts
I feel your pain. Have the same issue with my 67 and even got a second set from Hotchkis cause they felt it should be lower. No difference unfortunately. Dearching seems to be my only option as I dont like the idea of lowering blocks although if it worked to flatten the spring then remove them might be a good approach to getting the desired height.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dario, don't take this the wrong way but, nice rear end man!
Thanks,

I practically live in this site just trying to get every little tid bit of info I can. I have little to no experience working with cars. Planes are my thing. Mechanics are mechanics I know, but when you've never opened up a rear end or taken apart an engine... well... it scares the crap out of me. :confused:

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words. Feel free to drop by my blog site and look at my rear any day ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
http://www.competitionengineering.com/catalog/CategoryDisplay.asp?CatCode=13116

Look at these for a traction bar alternative. In a 80's hotrod or car craft the took out the front leaf spring pocket cut a hole in rhe top drilled a new eye bolt hole up a little bit more and it lowered the car about an inch. If you want a copy of it let me know and I will scan it for you as soon as I can. Email me.
Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts