·
14,257 Posts
Not worth 1/2 the asking price IMHO

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not worth 1/2 the asking price IMHO
John, I'm going to run my next prospective project by you before I pull the trigger. Maybe you'll be able to talk some sense into me! :beers:

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
Yes, RS.:) Options on the tag include;

765-Z= black custom interior, bucket seats
Y-Y= Butternut yellow exterior, top & bottom
W=AO2 tinted windshield
L=A67 folding rear seat
2M=M35 powerglide trans
2G=D55 front console
3D=U29 under dash courtesy lights
3L=Z22 rally sport
5B=V32 rear bumper guards
5Y=A39 deluxe seat belts

Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
I'd say it's worth at least half the asking price! lol....Really depends on the rust and your ability to deal with it. It has some nice options and would be a sharp car restored back to original. Add 20% ($) for RS and $50 for the console mounted clock... ;)

·
14,257 Posts
John, I'm going to run my next prospective project by you before I pull the trigger. Maybe you'll be able to talk some sense into me! :beers:
I'd say it's worth at least half the asking price! lol....Really depends on the rust and your ability to deal with it. It has some nice options and would be a sharp car restored back to original. Add 20% ($) for RS and $50 for the console mounted clock... ;)
I use a simple formula to determine what the value would be to ME

I look at the present market of similar cars sold. Ebay private party completed auctions is a good indicator. And asking prices for similar cars on the market at this time offered by private party owners.(if you buy from a Dealer your gonna pay too much)

From there I get and good idea of what a completed car would sell for and conversely how much I would have to pay for a completed car.

So a completed car will cost $XXXXX

Then I estimate how much it will cost to restore the car in question $YYYYY

Subtract $YYYYY from $XXXXX and that's the most the project car is worth. Then factor in a year or two of your life.

Often this exercise puts you upside down if you got the car for free.

This car I figure will cost $35k - $40k doing a lot of the work yourself not counting your time plus the cost of the car to make it worth $40k - $45k if you're lucky.

Heck Do the math

Rust Repair
Body and Paint
Rebuild the Drivetrain
Tranny?
Radiator and Cooling System
Fuel System
Brakes
Wheels/Tires
Electrical System
Glass
Interior
Gauges
Brightwork
Weatherstrip
Door and window handles

All this stuff adds up fast

If you're a glutton for punishment then offer $3500 and enjoy the journey

·
14,257 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a simple formula to determine what the value would be to ME

I look at the present market of similar cars sold. Ebay private party completed auctions is a good indicator. And asking prices for similar cars on the market at this time offered by private party owners.(if you buy from a Dealer your gonna pay too much)

From there I get and good idea of what a completed car would sell for and conversely how much I would have to pay for a completed car.

So a completed car will cost $XXXXX

Then I estimate how much it will cost to restore the car in question $YYYYY

Subtract $YYYYY from $XXXXX and that's the most the project car is worth. Then factor in a year or two of your life.

Often this exercise puts you upside down if you got the car for free.

This car I figure will cost $35k - $40k doing a lot of the work yourself not counting your time plus the cost of the car to make it worth $40k - $45k if you're lucky.

Heck Do the math

Rust Repair

Body and Paint

Rebuild the Drivetrain

Tranny?

Fuel System

Brakes

Wheels/Tires

Electrical System

Glass

Interior

Gauges

Brightwork

Weatherstrip

Door and window handles

100 percent correct. On the flip side does spending 3500 or 7000 really matter when one is going dump 40 to 45 into it doing most of the work yourself? Not really. Pay to have someone do it matters even less.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck Do the math

Rust Repair
Body and Paint
Rebuild the Drivetrain
Tranny?
Fuel System
Brakes
Wheels/Tires
Electrical System
Glass
Interior
Gauges
Brightwork
Weatherstrip
Door and window handles

You're right and your numbers are too. My brain wasn't logged into reality when I bought my car... My delusions of a quick and inexpensive run to drivability went away pretty fast. My project is for me, and as the old story goes, hopefully my wife won't sell it for what I told her I have in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts