Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a buddy with his 67 rs convertible, and the last item not working are his reverse lights. This is different than my car since it's a 4spd so I'm going in blind here, so I thought I'd run it by some of you with similar cars.
It's a 67 4 spd, console shift, pretty much all original, so it should be near stock. He said he found a plug attached to green wires, attached to his trans, just hanging there. My reverse light wiring is green, so my guess is this is probably at least part of his problem. The question is, where does it go? And does that sound like part of his reverse light wiring, it sure does to me. It would be nice to go over and give him a hand with some idea of what we have there.
Any help or input on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I don't have an RS, but the backup light switch on my coupe is connected to two wires - 1 pink, one green. Your buddy should do himself a favor and get a book with a wiring diagram included. The wiring diagram is included in the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual (no 1st Gen Camaro owner should be without one), they are included in the Chilton's manuals and there are wiring diagram books on eBay all the time for $5-10.

Here's a link from an old posting showing the backup switch wires: http://members.shaw.ca/brooksld/Wires3.jpg

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, actually thats the part he has, it's on the trans currently and has the wires and rubber plug attached to it, but their just tucked up under the car, connected to nothing. Now were does it plug into? Where should we be looking for the recieving end of that plug?
Mark, actually he has the assembly manual, but with a wiring diagram it tells you the circuit, not were the plug would be found on the car. And actually that picture is similar to my reverse light connection on my auto floor shifter, problem is this is a 4 spd floor shift, the switch is on the trans, but we have no idea where the rest of it goes. Is there a section of the AIM that diagrams actual locations for the plugs?
Thanks for the input so far guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The 4-speed backup light harness plugs into a connector on the firewall. It's about 6 inches below the wiper motor. I wondered for years what that connector was for until I did my engine swap last year and got around to tracing down and hooking up the backup lights. It's in one of the M20 diagrams in the assembly manual, but it's hard to make out the diagram.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats exactly what I was looking for, you guys are the best :thumbsup: .
That should take care of everything I need for that then, we should be able to get it connected now and troubleshoot if anything further arises. My guess is it's unplugged for a reason though, this car is about as stock as it gets, very little has been changed, and nearly everything works.
Are those switches notorious for failure at all as far as you guys know? I could see that with them down in the elements like they are. I'll get it hooked up and see I guess.
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help :beers:

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Are those switches notorious for failure at all as far as you guys know? I could see that with them down in the elements like they are. I'll get it hooked up and see I guess.
Can't speak for the stock GM backup switches as I have a Hurst aftermarket switch that goes with my Hurst shifter. In my experience, that area stays remarkably clean and free of corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
Are those switches notorious for failure at all as far as you guys know? I could see that with them down in the elements like they are.
The OE switches are hermetically sealed from the elements, but I find by placing the shifter in reverse and looking at the reflection from a wall/door, loosen the screws and adjust the switch to turn on the lights, then tighten the screws, works best.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good tip Everett :thumbsup: . Thanks again for the input guys, probably go give him a hand this weekend on it.
:beers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts