Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a 1967 RS/SS 350 powerglide with AC. Wanted to confirm if these are the correct part numbers for the fan (3789562), clutch (3916139), and spacer (3814241). Does the fan blade have 4 or 5 rivets on each blade? Also, wanted to confirm these part numbers should appear on those parts and do they all have date codes? If so, what's the format and decode for the date codes?

I found a 5 blade fan but it only has "H" on the front in the hub area and "W" on the back side by one of the blades.
thx... Chevynut

·
Registered
222 Posts
Chevynut,
The 3789562 fan was the C60 (A/C) fan installed with the 3916141 clutch unit for the '67 A/C cars. A spacer is not needed. The fan clutch unit is the spacer. The 3789562 fan was also used on some '66 and '67 Corvette's (that's where I located mine after searching for 4 years).

There isn't a number on the '67 fans (that didn't start until '69). There's several re pops around, but they don't have the right four rivet installation, and most have five rivets. You'll likely need to look at CRG's site to see the proper blade configuration, center hole diameter, and correct rivets.

I located one 3916141 clutch unit, but the $1900 price tag kept me far, far, away. I run an aftermarket clutch that looks very similar, and it's in a location that can't be seen. One day (maybe) I'll find the real deal. Good luck with your quest, and have some fun doing it. Rome wasn't built in a day.........

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much, Steve. I think the more I research the more I find conflicting information. The Assembly Manual and CRG agree that 3789562 was the primary number. The AM says that 3863137 was an optional blade. The CRG lists 912239 as "also used" instead of 3789562. I believe 912239 is a Schwitzer number. If I believe all that, a 5 blade with any of those three numbers would be correct.

On the clutch, the Assembly Manual lists 3916139 with 3916140 as optional. The CRG doesn't show any part numbers for the clutch for 1967 (at least not in the section I looked in). Can you share where you found that 3916141 is correct? I'm with you, not sure I want one if they cost $1500.

Finally, I realized after I posted my question that I didn't need a clutch (dah!). Chock that up to a "cranium flatulence. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
You're absolutely correct that any of those three numbered fan blades will be authentic, Again, in '67, those blades didn't have any numbers stamped on them.

The clutches were also being revised as quickly as the ignition coils during this same time period. Clutches 38141376 and 3814560 became 3916141 and 3916142 four months later. Then "41" and "42" became "39" and "40" just 22 days later. (AIM notes 2, 3, 4, 5)

Be sure to check your week of build. This may effect the desired clutch. (my sought after clutch was only used for 22 days) Check your coil number with dates used, too (three used during this time period).

If searching for a correct IH and OG radiator (if you don't have one), be careful as a major current day Harrison radiator builder says that the IH and OF radiators they produce are correct for A/C Camaro's. Bull. The IH and OG radiators were used for ALL '67, '68, and '69 Camaros with A/C.

Steve

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Russ,
Right on! The assembly line used what ever part (s) that was within reach as the car came down the line. Parts got set aside, pulled for testing and quality control, fork lift operators moved and stacked bins and crates constantly. Foundries produced runs that may last for weeks.

A friend inherited his grand mothers 67 Impala. She bought it new. The car was built the 2nd week of March, '67. The car had an August '66 block, heads, distributor, and intake manifold. That sure says dates codes are just that - date codes.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all the input guys. It confirms what some friends have told me about what took place on the plant floor back then (which is both enlightening and frustrating at the same time!!).

So if the engine assembly was 11/23/66 (1123 on the POP) and the body assembly date was the 5th week of November 66 (11E on cowl tag (11/28/66 thru 12/2/66)), what blade and clutch part numbers would you recommend we look for?

Too bad someone removed the original ones but I guess I did things just as dumb years ago.
Barry

·
Registered
11 Posts
The other thing to consider is that some manufacturer details of the fan blades sometimes changed without the part number changing. For instance, you can have two identical fan blades except for the number of rivets per blade and/or the shape of the rivet heads, but (based on the car build date and the AIM) they should have the same part number. On Chevelles at certain plants they went back and forth from one blade style to another. So on those cars at least, it was not a case that one version was used in all cases up to a certain date, and the other version was used in all cases after that date. And I have NOS examples of every rivet combination in GM boxes that all have the same part number, even though the rivet attachment of the blades are different. So I tend to think it was a case of more than one supplier providing parts with the same GM part number, or a case of a supplier that had more than one plant and their procedures were not standardized at all the plants. But that is just my speculation ...

So, since 67 (and older) blades are not numbered, in my opinion you are better off to speak in terms of the size of the center hub bolt pattern, the number of rivets per blade, the shape of the rivet heads, and the shape of the blade (whether it is or is not indented along the edge of and at the outer end of the rivet attaching area), rather than trying to ID a 67 blade by the part number. The number (since it is not on it) does not matter as long as you have the "correct looking version" of the blade.

My unrestored survivor 67 SS 350 with A/C was LA built, so if your car is Norwood built then this info may or may not be helpful to you (again, possible different suppliers or different plants of the same supplier). But the original fan blade on my car (with 11B cowl tag) has the small center hub hole with 3" bolt pattern, with the indentation in each blade (along the edge of and at the outer end of the rivet area), with 4 rivets per blade, and the rivet heads are flat.

The clutch is an Eaton. It has no engraving on the face. Attached are pics, including the length of the mounting shaft, which is 1-5/8" from the BACK side of the fan blade to the FRONT side of the pulley. As you can see, the shaft has a constant diameter (it is not tapered or swedged like some of the other brand fan clutches and some of the later Eatons were).

Also see the link in my signature below for some pics of the the car.

If searching for a correct IH and OG radiator (if you don't have one), be careful as a major current day Harrison radiator builder says that the IH and OF radiators they produce are correct for A/C Camaro's. Bull. The IH and OG radiators were used for ALL '67, '68, and '69 Camaros with A/C. Steve
I encountered that issue too. One of the few things that has been changed on my car is the radiator. The original reportedly leaked and they put a generic parts house radiator in it. :sad: After months of trying to find an original, in 2009 I gave up and ordered a repop Harrison from HBC. It was wrong in more ways than just the code on the right-side tank! The mounting bracket on the left side was also wrong and had the hole for the lower bolt in the wrong place, and the overflow hose connection pointed in the wrong direction. I called and complained, and was told that I did not know what I was talking about, and that my unrestored survivor car must have a repro core support in it and that that was the problem!!

But several weeks later I got an email from them apologizing and saying I was right, with pics attached of a correct 68 350/AC radiator that they had located. They said they were going to dismantle that unit and make all the pieces to do a correct repro of the IH/OG radiator. However, they did not offer to send me a correct one and take the wrong one back! And based on the current description on the website, looks like they did not make the correct OG tank either.

I also asked if I could buy the remnants of the 68 radiator when they were done copying it, so I could reassemble it with a new core and put it in my car. They never replied.

So if any of you have a 3010181 radiator (UK tag code, and IH / OG tank codes) for a 67 350 or 327 with powerglide and A/C that you would sell, please let me know!! It makes me very ill every time I open the hood and see that repop radiator in there!!

Thanks! Jeff

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts