Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! Found this site last night and signed in then made the mistake of posting my problem on the "welcome wagon". My name is Roger and I always liked the first gen. camaro so my wife got me a 67 rs for my birthday. It is still hard to believe. Sounds like there is alot of knowledge on this site. Car runs great but after about a week the gen light came on and the dome light would stay on. Put in new door switches and had the battery and the alternator tested and they are fine. Checked the regulator and it was all wet so I got a new regulator then it happend. The car runs fine but now the headlight doors won't open and the drivers side headlight is really dim. There are ground wires from the motor to the frame and the fire wall and core support. Went for a ride tonight and stopped at my buddy's house to show him the car and when I shut the door the dome light stayed on. Drove the car home and when I was pulling in the garage hear a click and the dome light went off. Thinking about changing the light switch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
It sounds to me that your problems are mostly a bad ground.
I would try to take apart and clean as many of the ground connections (where the wires meet the body or frame) as you can find. That is probably where most of your problems are coming from.
as for the dome light gremlins??? try to replace the switch?
why was the regulator all wet?
Hope this helps Rodger:thumbsup:
BTW post some pictures of your Bday present we would like to see it too:beers:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Check out this site for wiring diagrams http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/ I have used the 67 RS diagram to troubleshoot me headlight problem. I found the previour owner had switched a couple of the wires on the relays and the diode under the dash was bad. Check the grounds first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with grounding problem. I had the same situation with the headlight going dim. I found a grounding wire broke off the tab. the ground wire I found broken was in front of the washer bottle on the passenger side. I stripped off some of the coating and wrapped the wire around the tab and the screw. Worked fine until I could change out the headlight wire harness. The problem with the headlight doors could be a number of things besides a bad ground. could be the switch for the headlights or a bad door motor. Hope it is just a ground sure sounds like it. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds to me that your problems are mostly a bad ground.
I would try to take apart and clean as many of the ground connections (where the wires meet the body or frame) as you can find. That is probably where most of your problems are coming from.
as for the dome light gremlins??? try to replace the switch?
why was the regulator all wet?
Hope this helps Rodger:thumbsup:
BTW post some pictures of your Bday present we would like to see it too:beers:
The engine compartment is clean so they seller probably steam cleaned it before I got it. I will get some pictures out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with grounding problem. I had the same situation with the headlight going dim. I found a grounding wire broke off the tab. the ground wire I found broken was in front of the washer bottle on the passenger side. I stripped off some of the coating and wrapped the wire around the tab and the screw. Worked fine until I could change out the headlight wire harness. The problem with the headlight doors could be a number of things besides a bad ground. could be the switch for the headlights or a bad door motor. Hope it is just a ground sure sounds like it. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
I will check all the grounds first and if that does'nt work then I willcheck out a wiring diagram and start troubleshooting the doors.

·
10,144 Posts
The headlight doors use a relay assy under the RH fender just behind the left headlight/radiator support. It's tucked underneath and a bolt through the fender holds it.
The assy has a circuit breaker on it that can wear out and make poor contact inside.
Clean any connections you may find.
David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headlight doors use a relay assy under the RH fender just behind the left headlight/radiator support. It's tucked underneath and a bolt through the fender holds it.
The assy has a circuit breaker on it that can wear out and make poor contact inside.
Clean any connections you may find.
David
Thanks I will take a look at those relays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts