Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Seat Cable (Passenger)

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dale8346 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how to accomplish the Original Passenger Seat Cable replacement so that it looks just like the original. I have not even looked or attempted yet, but thought I would not reinvent the wheel if someone already had the answer. If anyone sell a restore kit, let us know also.

This is the cable on the side of seat that keeps the back rest from going to far forward.

If you got pictures that also would be great. If no one has any answers for this, someone posting pictures of an ORIGINAL set up (close up good pictures) would be helpful.

PLEASE, DOESN'T ANYONE EVEN HAVE PICTURES. SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOW HERE AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY EMAIL.

#2 ·
Dale, I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you just want to see how the cable is attached? There are not too many different ways it can go. If it's not raining or snowing out tomorrow I'll back the car out of the garage and take a few photos.

#3 ·
I am trying to restore it to look original. No one sells a replacement. I have not even found a used one so I am forced to make it myself. I have NO picture of a correct one. The more pictures the better for accurate restore. You might even consider measuring its length. THANKS in Advance.

#4 ·
I am amazed that no one has pictures or the correct one. With how many guys that talk about their original cars with low mileage, i would think someone would have posted good pictures by now????? I am crying now. LOL

Keep restoring and having fun. Spend time with your kids first, then fix your car.

#5 ·
I made mine. Used some rubber covered utility cable I found at Ace Hardware, and some sizeable electrical terminals also found at Ace. Learned the hard way the strip the rubber covering back before crimping the ends, also soldered the ends the second time. I'm sure it doesn't "look" exactly like original (the rubber covering is not black for staters) , but it is functional.

#7 · (Edited)
Photos show my original '68 cable. Note the ends are put on facing opposite directions. Don't know what gauge the cable is but the OD including insulation is 1/8". Stud goes in lower threaded hole on left hinge as in photo. Other stud goes into the middle rear side of the seat bottom. I put a washer in to keep the stud from twisting the vinyl as it is tightened. I will put in smaller OD washer for final assembly so it won't be so noticeable. Someone else here will have to chime in on whether this stud used a washer, no washer and tightened down on the vinyl or what.

Hope this gives you all the info you need. Let me know if there is anything else. I have one extra stud if you are interested.

#8 · (Edited)
Dan,
Thank you. That is very helpful and I appreciate the time you put into doing this. Here is the original on my car.
Unless the 68 is different, I am pretty sure you are missing something, but I for sure am not certain. Never paid attention to this part when younger. Someone else will have to clarify that up for us. This large washer that is on mine, I know is stock and my cable end is what is left from the original. I know it's stock on 67 because I have seen all of them with it while I was looking for it last year. I did not think to look at the 68's, I thought they were the same. Hopefully someone will clarify what you and I have and what is correct. I included a picture of what mine looks like. But, I am going to try to make this cable. It is all that I am missing. YOUR MEASUREMENTS ARE DEEPLY APPRECIATED. I put yours in this same thread so that others could see side by side easily.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE YOU CAN GET CABLE ENDS THAT ARE SIMILAR ??
Does anyone know how the 3 years differed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.