Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and also just recently discovered the CRG website via Kurt's link in his postings (Thanks Kurt). I thought I knew how to pick a 67 SS car from a fake just from what I've learned in my own resto project over the last few years. I was surprised to discover on the CRG website that a 67 SS350 (L48) had a tach redline of 5K as opposed to 5.5K. Almost every SS350 I have seen has had a 5.5K tach. I have only seen a 5K tach on 2 SS350s. One was an obvious fake (VIN was for 6 cyl.) at a car show and the other frankly is my own car. I have been assuming it is wrong (i.e. was replaced at some point in its life) since I know my car is a true SS (complete #s matching, including partial VIN stamps on engine,xmission, body as well as correct cowl tag codes)

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with an authentic 67 SS350. Which is correct, 5K or 5.5K redline?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Just something to think about. I have a 67 RS that someone turned into an RS/SS. It has the '4P' code on the firewall tag. It now has a 454 in it so I knew the original engine was gone. I received documentation from GM of Canada that shows the car is an original RS, 327/275hp 4 speed with console/gauges. So that proves that the '4P' does not guaranty it is an SS350. Anyway, my car has the 5K tach. I'd bet they put both tachs in depending on what supplies were on hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 67 SS camaro with a 5.5 tach. From what I know the 5k is a Fake. I've seen them go on E-bay listed as repos.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meche82:
I'm new to this forum and also just recently discovered the CRG website via Kurt's link in his postings (Thanks Kurt). I thought I knew how to pick a 67 SS car from a fake just from what I've learned in my own resto project over the last few years. I was surprised to discover on the CRG website that a 67 SS350 (L48) had a tach redline of 5K as opposed to 5.5K. Almost every SS350 I have seen has had a 5.5K tach. I have only seen a 5K tach on 2 SS350s. One was an obvious fake (VIN was for 6 cyl.) at a car show and the other frankly is my own car. I have been assuming it is wrong (i.e. was replaced at some point in its life) since I know my car is a true SS (complete #s matching, including partial VIN stamps on engine,xmission, body as well as correct cowl tag codes)

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with an authentic 67 SS350. Which is correct, 5K or 5.5K redline?

Thanks alot
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Actually after looking in an old book I have had for 20 + years. The 5K redline is correct for the small block. The 5500 red is for the BB hydraulic lifters and the 6k red is for the BB mechanical lifters. I have owned 11 SS 350's and all had the 5K redlines. This comes from my Camaro! Chevy's Classis Chassis book.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring

·
Registered
287 Posts
This may not help but, I have a couple of small block El Caminos (1-68, 1-71) which came with 5k redline tachs.

Steve R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts