Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you do for the hei wire and and does the purple and orange wire go on the starter?what else will i have to re wire or convert.please help me.im counting on you the car only runs if you keep the switch in the start position. so i think the problem must be the hei wire or the two wires on the starter solenoid.pleeeaaassseee help me.....
thank you for any response
sean

·
Registered
233 Posts
woody
The HEI needs a full 12 volts whenever you have the key in the run or start position. You need to connect the BAT connection on the HEI to someplace that has 12 volts whenever the key is in the ON and Start positions. Many folks connect it to the ACCESSORIES connection on the fuse box. I think a 14 gauge wire will be OK.

Also don't use the original wire. It is a resistor wire and drops the voltage to about 8 or 9 volts - not enuff to properly run the HEI. I'm not sure about the starter wiring, but it should be OK if the key will turn the motor over. With the HEI you do not need a wire from the starter to the HEI.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response now if i can figure a place to run the wire that runs 12volts in the start position i thought the wipers but bad idea i'll try the accessory in fuse panel. thanks for the help i hope someday i can help one fo ya'll

------------------

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Here's an old post of mine:

If you have a self-serve junkyard in your area, find a GM car with a similar body style and an HEI ignition. Remove the engine wiring harness and unwrap it. You only need the section from the HEI to the firewall so you can cut it out of the car as necessary.
Remove any sealant covering the wires as they enter the firewall plug. Using a very small flat-bladed screwdriver (eyeglass size), insert the blade just under the firewall plug wire for the + side of the ignition. This will release the wire from the firewall plug. Practice on a few of the other wires first so you can get the feel for how they remove. Now you have a splice-free wire to work with. Install this new wire into your orignal points wire location on your firewall plug and reseal the wire with silicone. Once you get the hang of it it will be very easy. You may want to buy the whole harness and use the extra wiring for future accessories since there are extra locations on the firewall connections that you can use, instead of drilling holes, to pass wiring through.

The purple wire triggers the starter. It should go on the small engine side post on the stock GM solenoid.

When converting to HEI you do not need the other small wire that attaches to the solenoid. This wire provides 12v to the coil during startup when a points ignition is used. It is likely that either you have your ignition wire attached to either the purple wire or the small wire and hence that is why the engine only runs in the start position.

Also, you cannot hook up an HEI ignition to any 12v source. It should be hooked up through the original 12v connection on the firewall engine plug for proper operation. If connected in the wrong place you will burn fuses or melt wiring. The wire should also be 12ga minimum.

A GM Factory Assembly Instruction Manual will be a lot of help. It has a basic wiring diagram that will help you locate the proper terminal on the firewall plug.

Good luck.

Carl

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I WIRED TO THE IGNITION SWITCH AND IT WORKS I THINK I'LL DO THE JUNK YArd trick though that sound s pretty trick!!!

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts