Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on restoring a 67 rs vert to a drive-able condition. While removing the floor(to replace the floor pan), I noticed that the rocker panels seem to be in a bad condition, but still support the car without any flex. The inside rocker cover is rusted out completely in some spots, but I have no idea about the condition of the “inside inside rocker panel” (inner support). I’m trying to get the car drive-able by spring and don’t want to spend to much money, but will if it really needs it.

Question(s):

1. Should I just repair the outside/inside covers without investigating further?
  2. If I shouldn’t just repair it, Is there way to just replace the inside rocker (and inner support if needed) without buying the whole $400 assembly?

Pictures:
Rust starts a foot before the door hinge and ends about a foot to 1-1/2 foot behind the door hinge
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Good job cutting the floor pan out!

If you replace the rocker, you will not be driving your car in the spring. The rockers are the main support structure in your convertible. You will need extra bracing if you remove the rocker.

The convertible rocker is made much stronger than the coupe rocker. There are actually two inner support panels. No one on the internet can tell you if your rockers are too rusted.

The photo below shows the end of a convertible rocker that is next to the outer wheelhouse.
Look how thick the metal is on the convertible rocker. The inner rocker is 1/16" to 1/8" thick?

Musical instrument Font Outdoor furniture Wood Electronic instrument

Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

The Republic of Tawain makes inner replacement rocker panels for a coupe. The convertible is different. The aftermarket vendors do not sell an inner rocker panel part for a convertible.

Here are some photos of the passenger side rocker if you want to fabricate a piece.

Bumper Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Naval architecture Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Machine

• Helpful
Reactions: dhutton

· Premium Member
6,502 Posts
Convertible rockers were unobtanium when I replaced some last summer. I think I managed to find the last pair on the planet after finding them at a lesser known Camaro parts vendor.

That being said those rockers should be replaced. A body jig is essential to doing it properly imho.

Don

Reactions: tp_smith

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good job cutting the floor pan out!

If you replace the rocker, you will not be driving your car in the spring. The rockers are the main support structure in your convertible. You will need extra bracing if you remove the rocker.

The convertible rocker is made much stronger than the coupe rocker. There are actually two inner support panels. No one on the internet can tell you if your rockers are too rusted.

The photo below shows the end of a convertible rocker that is next to the outer wheelhouse.
Look how thick the metal is on the convertible rocker. The inner rocker is 1/16" to 1/8" thick?

View attachment 301070

View attachment 301071

The Republic of Tawain makes inner replacement rocker panels for a coupe. The convertible is different. The aftermarket vendors do not sell an inner rocker panel part for a convertible.

Here are some photos of the passenger side rocker if you want to fabricate a piece.

View attachment 301072

View attachment 301073
Thanks for the pictures and information. Ive decided that I will try to repair the current inner panels if they are still mostly good but will make new if necessary. I guess I will find out how good the inner supports are when I start removing the rusted metal and will dig into it more if they are bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts