Team Camaro Tech banner

67 windshield washer pump priming?

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Darin Imbriaco 
#1 ·
I just installed a restored 67 windshield wiper motor and washer pump. Wipers work okay but pump isn't squirting (yes, there's washer liquid in the jug). Do I need to "prime" the windshield washer system somehow?

#2 ·
I don't recall ever having to prime the system, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure that the sqirter ends and pickup screen are open and not clogged and that the system is not drawing air from someplace.

#3 ·
I took my whole windshield washer system apart to fix it. I took the pump apart and cleaned and lubed everything. Make sure the little rubber diaphragm is working. Put it all back together with new hoses, fitting, etc. Don't overlook the ends that squirt onto the windshield, they could be blocked or bent, causing a restriction.
Then, it took a long time for the pump to "self-prime"...running it until the liquid fills everything and finally hits the windshield. After you have it working, remember to use it every once in awhile to keep it primed and working. Don't know if this is the answer you seek....but it worked for me!

#4 ·
Good advice. Thanks.

Like you, I took everything apart, cleaned and lubed, and put new plumbing and white end on the pump.

I did prime the system up to the pump by using a simple hand-operated vacuum pump but still no go.

I can hear the mechanism working but I didn't check the diaphragm. I'll bet it's the diaphragm or the plumbing going to the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.