Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the first batch of pictures of Ron Atchley's car he is restoring. This is the car that matched the motor found in a T-bucket rod that james427 bought. I will post pictures more as Ron gives them to me.

This first set has pictures of the car several years ago sitting in Arizona about 1 1/2 mile from the Mexican border. The story was that an uncle gave this car to a nephew when he graduated high school. Not sure of the year. Another relative bought the car from the nephew (knowing the value of the car) and took it to Michigan where he intended to restore it. Once the buyer found out the cost to buy original parts for restoration he decided to sell it. That is how Ron found it.

There is a picture of an Arizona title showing the month/year the car was first registered. This is what lead Ron to believe it was a non-California car, so be built a CE motor for it w/o smog.

For those of you that are starting here, this is the link to the beginning of the story. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178858

· Premium Member
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Yup, that link works for me....what an amazing story!

ZAPPER

· Premium Member
6,355 Posts
Unreal. That is one of the best stories yet. A 67 Z 28 now with the original motor. It dosen't get any better than that! I will follow this thread very close. Can't wait to see it finished. I wonder how much it will be worth when it is done?

· Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,453 Posts
Yeah, did notice that :thumbsup: It's my understanding the plenum intake system was a special package that could be ordered extra, furnished loose like headers were. So I guess the owner was responsible for cutting the hole in the firewall ??

From the "White Book", there were 3 additional "Special Performance Packages" available for the Z.
-plenum air intake system....$437.10
-headers......779.40
-plenum intake & headers....858.40

· Registered
2,980 Posts
Yeah, did notice that :thumbsup: It's my understanding the plenum intake system was a special package that could be ordered extra, furnished loose like headers were. So I guess the owner was responsible for cutting the hole in the firewall ??

From the "White Book", there were 3 additional "Special Performance Packages" available for the Z.
-plenum air intake system....$437.10
-headers......779.40
-plenum intake & headers....858.40
A template came with the air cowl plenum set up.

· Registered
228 Posts
I wonder if anyone else has noticed that Ron's car is Cowl Plenum car too. He has obtained the original and correct air cleaner for it. It also came with an AM 8-track and several other rare options.
That duct for the cowl looks different than mine. Mine has a lip on it that rested on the top of the cowl lip. Am I looking at this pic wrong or is it different? Could that be from a Chevelle or Impala?

Killer story, a mag needs to do a story on this one!:yes:

· Registered
2,980 Posts
That duct for the cowl looks different than mine. Mine has a lip on it that rested on the top of the cowl lip. Am I looking at this pic wrong or is it different? Could that be from a Chevelle or Impala?

Killer story, a mag needs to do a story on this one!:yes:
You are correct about the lip Paul.

· Premium Member
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone wants to do a magazine article. I will ask Ron about the lip on the plenum. That is an old picture, though.

I have more pictures. Just need to get the time to put them up.

· Premium Member
2,883 Posts
I have seen a few different CI setups where some have clearance indent in the lower air filter outside diameter.

Some have the clearance indent in front and some had clearance indent on the side

I like this picture of the Z sitting in a field - thats the way to find them!

Its a good Camaro story so hope to see it in magazine or on-line

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the second batch of pictures. I may have mentioned Ron built a "CE" 302 for the car before he found the original engine.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.