Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working on my 1967 camaro that has been sitting in my driveway for years. the motor and everything like the starter works perfectly fine. We were able to start without using the key, so we know its nothing to do with the motor. but when you turn the key only the dashboard lights come on. there is no clicking noise or anything from the motor. the brake and headlights also don't turn on. I've tried changing the ignition lock and switch but the same thing happens. brand new battery that is reading the right 12 volts. I'm really new to working on cars so all the help i can get will be really helpful.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
Welcome, Naz.
Your symptoms are quite strange for a '67. You have warning lights come on, ie, OIL, GEN, but no headlamps.
Power comes through the firewall plug via a large red wire, 12 AWG and in the dash harness, gets crimped with another red wire and goes to the fuse panel, ignition switch, and headlamp switch.
First, I will suggest, if an automatic, ensure the neutral safety switch is adjusted correctly as the starter engages only in neutral and Park. Holding the ign sw in START position and shift through the gear selections may get some action from the starter.

Back to other power, as said, I find it strange having idiot lights but no headlamps.
You might remove/wiggle all connectors behind the dash removing corrosion built up over the years. Take one off at a time. Do the same with the fuses in the fuse panel - remove clean both the socket with a Q-tip and alcohol, and the fuse.

Your best bet in guiding you would be to acquire a '67 AIM, Assembly Instruction Manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, Naz.
Your symptoms are quite strange for a '67. You have warning lights come on, ie, OIL, GEN, but no headlamps.
Power comes through the firewall plug via a large red wire, 12 AWG and in the dash harness, gets crimped with another red wire and goes to the fuse panel, ignition switch, and headlamp switch.
First, I will suggest, if an automatic, ensure the neutral safety switch is adjusted correctly as the starter engages only in neutral and Park. Holding the ign sw in START position and shift through the gear selections may get some action from the starter.

Back to other power, as said, I find it strange having idiot lights but no headlamps.
You might remove/wiggle all connectors behind the dash removing corrosion built up over the years. Take one off at a time. Do the same with the fuses in the fuse panel - remove clean both the socket with a Q-tip and alcohol, and the fuse.

Your best bet in guiding you would be to acquire a '67 AIM, Assembly Instruction Manual.
so i have made progress since i posted this but i have hit another wall. the problem was with the positive battery cable it wasn't getting all the small wires onto the clamp so i cut and stripped it. i read about the neutral safety switch and found out the car was only starting in neutral,but after cutting and stripping the positive cable to the battery it would start in park also. this solved our problem for a little while but it stopped turning over again and we lost power to all the lights that were lit before and the car will not crank over at all. I'm not sure what it could be now...

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
For one, you are introducing a problem using clamp-on post clamps.
Replace the complete cable(s) with a min 1 GA cable with molded clamp on it. You will have to bend the terminal to fit onto the solenoid stud. Attach ground cable to the block.

If you don't have power to the rest of the car, start at the pos clamp. The smaller gauge wire is a fusible link. Pull on it, if it stretches, it is bad and needs replacement, a length of 14 GA wire will work. Follow the pigtail to a battery junction block, pull off the terminals and wire brush them, reassemble.

Move over to the horn relay and you will find a buss bar with at least two wires, red and orange. Remove them and wire brush them, reassemble. Externally charge the battery and try headlamps again. If lights light, then start engine and check charging voltage across battery posts, should be min 13.8 volts. If no, go to alt BATT stud and measure min 13.8 volts. No volts, disassemble red wire and wire brush terminal, reassemble. Unplug the two wire connector, clean with alcohol and reassemble. If still no charge voltage, check the crimp in the harness between alt and voltage regulator, no broken strands.

Let us know what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts