Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My backup-lights are always when I’m driving my car. This all started since I did some work on my car and had dropped the transmission. I know it has to do with wiring on the transmission but I'm not sure what to look for and how to correct it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,887 Posts
If the car is equipped with a manual trans, the switch is mounted on the drvr side of the trans. Back the car up to the garage door, loosen the two mounting screws, 5/16 inch wrench, and rotate switch until lights go off. Select reverse to turn on, nuetral to turn off. make sure the two bolts holding the bracket onto the side cover are tight first.

If car is automatic, the switch may be broke. Column shift is on the bottom top of the column next to the firewall, console shift, on the pass side of the shifter. If engine starts in reverse, switch is bad, replace it.

Oh, Welcome to the Club! Turn the lights out when you leave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car is equipped with a manual trans, the switch is mounted on the drvr side of the trans. Back the car up to the garage door, loosen the two mounting screws, 5/16 inch wrench, and rotate switch until lights go off. Select reverse to turn on, nuetral to turn off. make sure the two bolts holding the bracket onto the side cover are tight first.

If car is automatic, the switch may be broke. Column shift is on the bottom top of the column next to the firewall, console shift, on the pass side of the shifter. If engine starts in reverse, switch is bad, replace it.

Oh, Welcome to the Club! Turn the lights out when you leave.

Eveerett, I should have been more clear that the lights are only on when the car is running. Does that make a difference with your suggested fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eveerett, I should have been more clear that the lights are only on when the car is running. Does that make a difference with your suggested fix?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
4 speed? auto?

either way im sure its the switch was not econnected or an adjustment.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The lights are only powered when the key is in run. Everett's diagnosis is right on.
Again, need to know what trans to be more specific.
Also, if manual, was it always manual, or converted?
Console car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts