Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to this site, just picked up a 68 Camaro, originally a 327 4 Spd. I am going to put a 427 in the car and would like to know which 454 Exhaust Manifolds in the 70's or substitute headers will work to keep from modifying the engine compartment. Can the 454 Police Manifolds from the 70's work?

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Mike

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Make sure you get Big Block frame mounts and a Big Block transmission crossmember. These will offset the engine about 1" to the passenger side. The transmission crossmember moves the tail of the transmission 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward. This is important so your exhaust manifolds or headers will fit properly. The Hooker competition headers should fit with no problems. The Hooker super competition headers usually requires some modifying of the header tubes. You can buy reproduction exhaust manifolds that would also work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
I am planning on putting a Martz front end as well as a 4 link. I suspect I can select the proper tranny crossmember from them. As for the mounts just use regular BBC engine mounts or are there special mounts for the BBC in the Camaro?

I have noticed repop manifolds for 73 and up 454's, that appear to be pretty short and compact. I will look for the headers and see what options are there.

Is there any thing else I need to worry about? I plan on putting a 5 spd in the car and using a Hydro Clutch. I am not sure of the exact Hydro clutch setup as of yet and need to sort this out. I want to make sure the exhaust I use does not get in the way of the Hydro Clutch.

M

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Whoa ! That is a totally different ball game. If you are going to go with an aftermarket sub-frame, you may go another route ! I personally would not purchase a sub-frame without a gaurantee that a certain brand of headers would fit.

Is this going to have a steering box or a rack and pinion steering ? The reason I ask is because, the reason for the offset is to gain clearance at the steering box ! Now, if you don't offset the engine, most out of the box headers are not going to fit, because they are made for an offset engine. If the subframe has front steering, with the steering box and tie-rods in front of the main crossmember, it is again, custom. Which way do you go ? Whoever makes the sub-frame should be able to answer that. What exhaust manifolds would fit ? Let the subframe maker decide. No one else will know. Lemon's headers can make a set of headers for you, either offset or not, but they will cost you about $1000.

You have some home work to do !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts