Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem- when i put my left signal on all three of my rear lights blink, i have a third brake light(just to clarify), when i put the right signal on it stops the left and third brake light blinking and the right signal works as it should. when no blinkers are on i can still hear the flasher sound but no lights are on. any help will be gratefully received. thanks in advance. i previously posted this in the wrong section of forums.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Re: 68 camaro blinking taillights

I'd start by disconnecting the third brake light and go from there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i did disconnect the third brake light, and it still blinked, it will only stop when the right signal is put on,

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

It sounds like your emergency flashers are on. pull the knob out.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If the flashers are not on, I think you have a problem with the turn signal switch in the column.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did install new signal switch in column and without putting any signals on- the front signal lights and their dash indicator lights began blinking, so with new switch installed, the problem went from rear lights only, to front lights only, my head hurts.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Do you have schematics? If so, skip the bulk of this. If not, this might help picture what goes on (which helps me, anyway...).

Power to turn switch:
- For turn signals:
--- Pink wire from fuse panel to Flasher clipped to steering column support
--- Purple wire from Flasher to turn signal switch

- For 4-way flashers:
--- Brown wire from Flasher mounted on Fuse Panel to turn signal switch

- For Brake lights:
--- Orange wire from Fuse Panel to Brake Light Switch
--- White wire from Brake Light Switch to turn signal switch

How things operate:

- No turn signal selected, brakes applied:
--- Brake Light Switch power to Turn Signal Switch
--- Switch closes
--- Turn Signal Switch distributes power to Yellow and Dark Green wires to Tail Lights

- Right turn signal, brakes applied:
--- Brake Light Switch power to Turn Signal Switch
--- Switch closes
--- Turn Signal Switch distributes power to Dark Green wire to Left Tail Light
--- Column Flasher power to Turn Signal Switch
--- Turn Signal Switch distributes Flasher power to Dark Blue (right front and dash indicator) and Yellow wires (right rear)

- Left turn signal, Brakes applied:
--- Same, except Light Blue (left front and dash indicator) and Dark Green (left rear) wires get flasher power

- 4-way/Hazzards selected:
--- Turn Signal Switch distributes Fuse Block Flasher power (Brown) to all four corners. Adding Brake Switch power kind of overrides it...

So, this might help kind of trace out where something has gone wrong. Hearing the flasher running with only brakes applied is kind of odd. Sounds like a possible short or bad ground causing power to bleed into other circuits... Double check the grounds on the front lights have bare metal under them and are tight. Poor fitting bulb to socket contact is another regular issue... THEN, there's the rear sockets getting poor grounding in the housings. Oh, and don't forget the ground and circuit board on the instrument cluster... Fun!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts