Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific procedure that I need to use to replace a Body Trim Tag and VIN Tag? I'm removing the dash pad and upper cowl due to rust and I want to make sure I install the original tags to the correct standard.

Thanks,
Ramien

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Messing with VIN tags is a federal offense. I believe only certain qualified bodyshops are allowed to do that, and I believe it all has to be fully documented. Contact your state DMV and they may have additional information for you.

Use the search feature on this site to do some more checking around. Here is one thread I found but look around some more.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65114

If at all possible, it is always best to leave the tags where they were originally.

Let's see what others say.

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
I assume that in your case you must remove the tags to repair. I replaced the upper dash on mine, felt it was too far gone to patch. Currently my vin resides in the top drawer of my tool box, Haven't decided on how to put it back. I think the most legal method involves law enforcement or DMV, I haven't checked into it. I'm not trying to defraud anyone so I'll be good with anything I do.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
You will get varying answers. Only your state's regulations apply. Some states allow DMV witnessed VIN tag swaps. VIN tag tampering is illegal. Here there have been instances where they ripped that tag right off and then gave an assigned VIN tag. Other times they noticed the wrong rivets even on trim tags and confiscated those too. I'd suggest doing your research and finding someone who is well versed in DMV procedures for your state. What applies in other states does you absolutely no good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you will get an answer. Too many out there trying to fake a car and get advice on how to do this.
I guess you're right, although it is a legitimate question for those of us who are trying to bring their baby back from the grave. :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that in your case you must remove the tags to repair. I replaced the upper dash on mine, felt it was too far gone to patch.
You know I'm only replacing the dash pad, is the VIN plate attached to that or another bracket underneath?

The trim tag is a different story, I need to remove it and re-rivet it back to the new upper cowl. The old cowl is rotted out pretty good and it's best to just replace instead of patch. The good thing is that I've seen the rosette style rivet on yearone, so i think a quick call to buddy down at the CHP may be all I need.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd suggest doing your research and finding someone who is well versed in DMV procedures for your state. What applies in other states does you absolutely no good.
Good point, knowing California it's probably the most difficult state to deal with on something like this. I will try calling a few resto shops to ask them. I will post my response back here when I find out. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
You know I'm only replacing the dash pad, is the VIN plate attached to that or another bracket underneath?

The trim tag is a different story, I need to remove it and re-rivet it back to the new upper cowl. The old cowl is rotted out pretty good and it's best to just replace instead of patch. The good thing is that I've seen the rosette style rivet on yearone, so i think a quick call to buddy down at the CHP may be all I need.
It would have helped if you stated this from the beginning. Pad change does not affect the VIN plate. Take plenty of pictures of the trim tag prior to removal, and again upon installation. Changed TTs always raise questions. TTs don't use rosette style rivets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts