Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am acting in somewhat of a 'consultant' position on the restoration of my friend Brian's 68 Camaro. Since the last complete restoration I did on a car was completed 13 years ago, I know there has been much advancement in the restoration field. I had relied the book "How to Restore Your Musclecar" by Greg Donahue and Paul Zazarine for information, but in reviewing some reference material from that book, I am sure there are some things that are flat-out incorrect. Brian's Camaro is not going to be a concours level trailer queen; it will be driven and only taken to small local shows. But, we still want to do a reasonably good job of replicating original finishes wherever possible.

That said, what are the correct finishes for the following components:
1. Upper & lower control arms
2. Coil springs
3. Tie rod ends and sleeves
4. Center link
5. Pittman arm
6. Idler arm
7. Core support
8. Rear leaf springs & shackles
9. Rear axle housing
10. Driveshaft
11. Gas tank straps

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
1. Upper & lower control arms= dipped chassis black
2. Coil springs= natural cast
3. Tie rod ends and sleeves=ends natural cast/ sleeves natural metal
4. Center link= forged steel looks bluish grey
5. Pittman arm= natural cast
6. Idler arm= natural cast
7. Core support= dipped 60deg black (GM recon black)
8. Rear leaf springs & shackles = Gloss Black
9. Rear axle housing= Gloss black
10. Driveshaft= natural metal
11. Gas tank straps= 60 deg black (dipped)

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Here is a photo of an unrestored rear end... the gas tank straps are there over the spring... you can see the drip on one from where it was dipped in paint...

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I looked in JM's book and he says "rear springs natural, gas tank straps semi gloss or natural and rear axle housing 30-60 % gloss black or natural."

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't own a Camaro, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring here for a couple of things. You mentioned its been a while.

One thing on cast iron paint if you use it.

I still use eastwoods products, but i have tried a few different cast paints.

Napa has some cast blast with a primer to go with it, if you spray it lightly you will still be able to see the actual cast in the paint.

Also ppg epoxy if left out of the sunlight will stay looking pretty good, just the way it comes out of the gun on certain things, also you can make it shine or almost shine with a california duster, pretty tuff stuff also. You can touch it up with barbecue black paint on small knicks and scratches.

Anyway just trying to help out here, sounds like you guys are planning this out, and this is a good thing.

I have all the paints and primers listed, and what I used it on.

This will allow you to see close up what the end result was, maybe you won't find anything to your liking, but it will give known combinations to look at.

Give us some pictures as you go, if possible, We can learn a lot from a well planned out restoration. Good luck

Rob

·
Registered
873 Posts
Bill, it just dawned on me who you are, sorry, you have probably heard all this from me at different times,:clonk: oh well.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked in JM's book
Interesting, I was not aware that Jerry MacNeish (I assume that's who you are referring to by 'JM') had reference books. Went to his website, and saw that he has two of them....guess I will have to order the 67-68 Z28 book. Thanks for the hint :hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Bill, the book with the most finishes is the 69 book. I have both and I have a 68Z and they are both worth their weight in platinum. I would have made a lot of bad purchases without them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marc, thanks for those outstanding pictures :thumbsup:

Harvard, thanks again, I ordered both books from Jerry last night.

Micky, thanks, I figured there would be a lot of the same finishes on both the Camaro and the Chevelle. It would be nice if I could use my Chevelle as a reference, but everything on the chassis is either rusty or covered with 1/8" of undercoating :( Last I saw, Lee's Camaro is looking mighty good :yes: :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts