Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 68 Camaro Coupe with out A/C, that caught on Fire while driving, caused by a leak at the Carburetor, Needless to say from the Carburetor back thru out the Interior and Trunk every thing was melted or destroyed! The Camaro had an Extreme Make Over which started in June 2010. The Body Work is all done now, and ready for paint, and then the process of buying, finding new replacement parts....My biggest problem is finding the Astro Ventilation replacement parts, I have asked this question prior on Team Camaro, and got several responses, saying every thing can be purchased new, EXCEPT for the right and left ducts that go in the Cowl Plenum. I have found a donor Camaro, but we cannot figure out how to remove these two ducts, one on the right side and one on the left side!!!
Want to clarify what I am calling the Cowl Plenum, it is the area below the removable piece where the windshield wiper arms connect to, (the slotted panel at the back of the hood, and just in front of the windshield) that I understand when the Camaro is being driven, the Air goes into this slotted area, and then the Air goes into the Two ducts for the Astro Ventilation to bring fresh air into the interior.............Does any one know how to remove these right and left ducts??? Also I need ALL the Heater/Ventilation duct work, including the Defrost Duct that looks like a big "Y". I was able to salvage the Heater Metal Case, had to purchase a new heater core, Heater Control Panel, the 3 Heater Cables, and a new Heater Blower Wheel, I need every thing else, can some body help me with finding these hopefully used parts, even though they would be 42 years old, I would hope to be able to clean them up and reuse them, any that I cannot reuse, will have to purchase new!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope some one understands what I am trying to describe, if more information is needed, please contact me at::
[email protected]

Thank You, Max in Las Vegas, NV

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
They attach with 3 sheet metal screws per side. The screws go through a sort of big triangular shaped stamped steel piece that clamps the plastic to the firewall. I have a complete heater box and Y duct in pretty good shape I took out to install a vintage Air system. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Below is a picture of the metal piece that is attached under the dash for the Astro Ventilation. The 3 screws are accessed from inside the car under the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
On my factory air 68. I do not remember there being a left side duct, under the cowl panel. There is a right side plenum door. That is attached to the cowl

The actuator is avaliable through old air products. The rest of the door and assy will need to be found used.
Only the right kick panel is open on a factory ac car.

The left side has no holes/grille.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply, BUT my 68 Camaro Coupe is not an A/C Car, I have recently looked at a Project 68 Camaro Coupe, and it indeed does have the Right and Left Side Cowl Plenum ducts, I have yet to find out if the 67 and 69 Camaro?Firebirds have the Factory Cowl Plenum ducts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also I am still trying to find and purchase both the Right and Left side Cowl Plenum ducts, no luck finding them so far, I have been told that every thing is available to purchase new reproduction parts for the Astro Air Ventilation System, EXCEPT for the Cowl Plenum Ducts, which no one is reproducing, why I have no idea. Does any one know where I can find these?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts