Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
1968 SS 396 Camaro
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 68 SS about the last thing I have to do is install the chrome drip rail trim, i have nos trim that has never been used but my question is this, I can get the long pieces on without to much trouble, but the pillar post pieces just don't fit, I'm sure it has to do with the paint that is on there so I am wondering if there is an aftermarket trim piece that is a little wider so I can get them on without sanding down the paint. After spending thousands on my paint job I hate to grind these areas down to fit the nos trim pieces, any advice or remarks would be great, thank you, Mike.

· Registered
215 Posts
Most old timers I know will lubricate the rail and/or use a soft piece of flat wood like a paint stir to apply to apply even pressure from the very top of the trim (and rail) to snap the bottom of the trim over the bottom of the rail. Pressure can be applied by the butt of the palm or by tapping with a small rubber mallet in small increments. Kind of reminds me of installing plank flooring. Combination of force and finesse. Takes courage, conviction ... and most of all patience.

· Registered
215 Posts
I do this all day, everyday. Very little reason an NOS trim molding will not fit a GM A -pillar molding. Call a pro or figure it out. They are not chrome, they are polished stainless.
Word

1 - 6 of 6 Posts