Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, new to the forum and new to First Generation Camaros. Wife and I bought our Anna out of Virginia a couple months back and are in the process of restoring her. She is a 68 SS Convertible but not numbers matching and has no power features.

Looking to add two power features - that of power front disc brakes and power steering for safety more than anything else and hoping that some of your experiences can save me time and money. Seen the kits out there but hoping I can piece together a bit cheaper (have a good friend at O'Riellys)

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much. Buddy can get all but the spindles for the brakes from O'Reillys. Just curious as to whether or not there are particular spindles I would need. Same with the power steering gear box if there was a particular one - the rest I can source which would save me large.

·
10,144 Posts
The auto parts stores will have most of the stuff you need for a brake conversion. You will need the disc brake spindles, and caliper brackets for the conversion which are available from restoration vendors like Classic Industries or NPD. For stock appearance, you need dust shields, but I don't use them on our cars, they reduce brake cooling. If you have above average horsepower and will be using larger than stock wheels, then aftermarket brakes start making sense. Your spindles can be converted if the top boss where the drum anchor bolt screws in is cut down.
Brakes

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
808 Posts
Not to hijack Sarge's thread, I'm kinda in the same boat so maybe my questions will help both of us. Will stock '68 disc spindles work on a '69 or was there a difference? I'm collecting parts and just picked up a set of Wilwood dual-piston calipers and rotors, SS lines, backing plates that fit on a '69 stock spindle and 15" rally wheels. They were mocked up and test driven a few miles, but the guy found a set of 6-piston big brakes and he jumped on them. He's going bigger on the rims of course.

IIRC wasn't there something about 2-piece hub/rotors that comes into play?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts