Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...Took another look at the suspension today and found that I am missing The Drivers side front shock..and that the drivers side is lower in the front also by about 1/2 inch...If I raise the front drivers side a 1/2 inch the car becomes square all the around.....Could this be my problem...Would a missing shock influence the stance.....I mean what are the chances that this will solve my leaning problem.. Also why would someone remove the drivers side shock...Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
143 Posts
dont know y somone would remove shock??? but yes this could affect the stance of car cracked leaf springs will cause this tilted look! replace both front shocks first and see what happens ! good luck

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the front the lean does not look as noticable..But from the rear It becomes alot more noticable...But like I stated if I raise the front drivers side 1/2 inch The car straightens out completely...Both front and back...just not sure if replacing the front drivers shock(No shock there now)would raise the drivers side 1/2 inch....Thanks again

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Try looking at the front coil spring too. The ends can break off and cause the sag in the front. When I rebuilt my suspension both front springs had broken ends - the last 3 - 4 inches on both had snapped off. The end of the coil should fit in a recess in the lower control arm.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The shock by itself does not support the car's weight. By all means, install a pair of shocks in the front, not just the missing one. I would suspect the coil spring has some sag in it - perhaps from undamped jouncing.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4:10

·
Registered
501 Posts
One of my 69's had a list to the port side. Replaced the 30 year old leaf springs and bushings, and the car sat perfectly. Upon inspection of the old springs, at least one of the leafs had broken at the axle line causing the tilt. The job wasn't bad...I bought Eaton multi-leaf springs and rubber bushings from Rick's...all for about $150. You can spend more for OE springs (instead of replacement) and poly-urethane busings if you wish. I don't think the shocks support any weight in parked car, but I could wrong. Good luck with this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts