Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Camaro with 5.3 and 4L60e
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a QA1 1 1/4" front sway bar for my 68 Camaro but the ears on the mounting brackets are to long, The side facing the coil spring will not sit flush on the frame. It hits the lip of the coil spring pocket.

Anyone have pictures of their oversize sway bar mounts?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did re did the mounts and reinforced the frame, see this post......Speedtech - Swaybar - stock subframe
Nice solution. One of the stock holes stripped out for me so I spent yesterday getting a helicoil JB welded in. Access to drill the hole out is tight. If that fails, I guess I’ll have to take the coilover out and do what you did. The mounting holes lined up fine for me but as you saw, the metal they mount to is pretty thin. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't trust the stock frame and swedged threads to take the load of a big swaybar. I didnt want to create a stress crack on the frame and have to do a weld repair later. BTW the original bolts are 5/16" and I used grade 8 x 3/8" If you need any more info / tips on this let me know.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good info, Jim. The helicoil didn’t work, there just isn’t enough metal for it to hold on to. I was hoping the JB Weld would counter that. I may first try to just see if I can get a locking nut on it since it is the one closest to the spring pocket and maybe use a stubby wrench to hold it while I tighten it. With the current heat index of 108, I’m not excited about spending enough time out there to tear it down and do it your way. Grade 8 is a good idea as well. I wish I had known about this before I put the new subframe it. It would have been easy to make the plate and then weld it into the frame for good.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I made the "sandwich plates" because I don't have welding skills. If you can do the welding, maybe easier to just do an outer plate. I've seen several write ups from people who welded in outer re enforcement plates, but not one who did my method.The bottom line is to build it like a "brick shet house" and don't sleep with one eye open. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don’t know if my welding counts as “skills” necessarily but I can make pieces of metal stick together with my little flux core welder. With it on the bottom, the welds will take the force. My thought of welding the inner piece was just to hold it in place if I ever disassemble. But, given how little metal is holding the bolt in the frame it may not need to be all that strong anyway. I could drill the holes oversized maybe well nuts to the upper side, or some sort of a sleeve that can be threaded and get a lot more thread engagement. I’ll give this some though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering how well the helical was going to hold since there is not much there, Sounds like some type of plate would be the way to go. I thought about drilling a 3/8 hole and dropping a bolt down through the bracket. The back bolt hole closest to the spring pocket is the one giving me fits. Guess I will have to grind down my brackets. Im going to try on some old ones first. It also puts the sway bar close to the frame. Heat index is high here also. Not to fun in the garage the last couple of days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your bushing mount has shorter tabs or ears than mine. That looks closer to stock. Mine have long slotted ears. I called QA1 this morning and was told to use the supplied spacers. The instructions only mentioned using them in a different application. As soon as I get the frame back from powder coating I will see how that works out.
Sway bar mount.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The spacer has a angler cut off so it looks like it would clear that pocket. Now I don't have my frame here to verify.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I found a video from Hot Rod Garage where they put the QA1 kit on the Crusher Camaro. They used the spacer, which will al
low the bracket to clear the spring pocket.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good find on the video. Looks like I tossed my spacers.

Follow up on the stripped mounting hole. I was able to finagle a lock nut on the bolt inside the frame rail. Lucking the hole that was stripped was the one closest to the spring pocket. I used a stubby 1/2" wrench to hold the nut while I tightened the bolt. I think I might have been able to reach it with a regular wrench but I wanted a set of stubbies anyway so.....

Look like for now I have this all finally done. We should be in our new place in Feb or March where I'll have detached garage for all my stuff so I may work on a better solution then that does not rely on bolting to the frame rails.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to hear you at least got it back together. I got my frame back and installed so I'm planning on installing the QA1 kit this weekend. I'm hope I will be ok with the factory mounting holes since my frame is new. Started making some backing plates to go inside the frame rail but really didn't want to drill out to holes on my new frame. Not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm going to guess you will be OK. Are the holes already tapped? I replaced my frame with one form a 69 Nova that must not have had a sway bar because I had to tap them Same for the clutch Z bar. If you mount the sway bar before installing the coilovers, I think it would actually be pretty easy to reach in the frame rail and put a locking nut on the mounting bolts. If course, it might be a challenge if you ever wanted to remove the sway bar without taking the coilovers out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok well the spacers didn't work out either. With the spacers the bar can not sit level because it hits the center section of the frame. Looks like without the spacers it would have enough clearance but then my mounting brackets will be to long. Looks like I need to remove the spacers and modify the bracket at the same angle of the spacer and it should be happy. This kit would be great if it had a better bracket or better instructions. Only thumbs down for now.QA1 is not open on the weekend so can not verify what to do. Instructions vs what the sales rep said don't work. Just frustrating when your suppose to have a high dollar quality piece and you get some universal crap with it that don't work. I will get some pics up here shortly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts